The Circle by Dave Eggers | Teen Ink

The Circle by Dave Eggers

February 21, 2014
By Anonymous

Young college graduate Mae Holland has landed a job working customer service for the world’s most powerful Internet company, The Circle. They provide people with a completely unanimous experience on the Internet, allowing users to do any and everything with one username and password. As time goes on she quickly climbs up the ladder with promotions, company parties and powerful friends all part of her life. Shortly after her arrival the company comes out with the SeeChange, a microscopic camera completely unnoticeable that revolutionizes peoples lives, but make people become ‘transparent.’ People are forced to wear one at all times, making any and everything they say and do revealed to the public. Mae is one of these people, forced to become transparent, and she is soon plunged into a tale of secrets, lies, publicity and betrayal with an overarching theme that asks the question, “How much is too much,” when it comes to privacy on the Internet. In today’s society with bullying an increasing trend, The Circle expresses an important question in our society, specifically the questionably unmoderated act of cyberbullying. On the Internet, it is easy to hide the identity of the man behind the screen, and avoiding people is about as easy as moving a mountain. In this novel we see that, even when privacy is abolished for good, that secrets can still be held and the world is still a dangerous place. Filled with interesting characters, an easily followed and enjoyable plot and an easy to see black-and-white decision, this book will have you hold your breath to see what happens next. Plot twists and excellent writing abound, this work of fiction is a page turner and I fully recommend it to any avid reader.


The author's comments:
Being an avid surfer of the internet and reader, this book caught my eye because it highlights all the problems with internet society today. People are opening up too much to the entire world! People need to learn where to draw a line, and fast, before fictional things that happen in this very book become our lives.