Where the Red Fern Grow's by Wilson Rawls | Teen Ink

Where the Red Fern Grow's by Wilson Rawls

February 7, 2014
By jevans BRONZE, Logan, West Virginia
jevans BRONZE, Logan, West Virginia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I enjoyed the book ''Where the red fern grows'' because it was a hunting book in which inspires children to work for what they want, Also another thing i like about this book how good the book is wrote big shout out to wilson rawls!




The adult Billy Colman narrates his childhood memories. Living with his Papa and Mama and three sisters in the Ozark Mountains in Oklahoma, all 10-year-old Billy wants is two hounds with whom he can hunt "coons" (racoons). His family cannot afford them, however, so Billy works odd jobs for two years and saves up the money to buy them. Only then does he tell his plan to his Grandpa, who helps arrange the purchase. the reason i enjoyed this book is because, it was about a boy who would do anything to get a hunting dog so that he could hunt some ringtail racoons. I think the author's purpose for writen this story is to inform children that if you want something bad enough you need to go out and work for it!




Where the Red Fern Grows is a love story about Billy Coleman and two redbone coonhounds during the Great Depression.

Ten-year-old Billy was consumed by a desire to possess such hounds and hunt the Illinois River bottoms for Mr. Ringtail near his home in northeastern Oklahoma. Just any old dog would not do. They had to be good redbone coonhounds. Since his parents were unable to grant his request for dogs, Billy prayed and felt God surely would help him and give him heart, courage, and determination. He found an ad for the kind of dogs he wanted in a sporting magazine left at a campsite by some fishermen. He dug a K. C. Baking Powder can out of the trash and cleaned it up to use as a bank for his money and set about earning the necessary fifty dollars, a nickel and a dime at a time. i personally dont read that much but i strongly recomend this book to anyone who is looking for a good read.




My main point's in this book are about a lil boy who didnt have the money for a coon hound and had to go make his own money to buy to redbone coon hound's.He had to find ways to make money it took him almost all summer but all of his hard work had finally paid off! I think the author made his point clear that this is a great book wilson rawls is a very talented author which is born on september24,1913 and died on december 16,1984. ''WHERE THE RED FERN GROW'S''is one of those book's that will never be forgotten!