The Sandman by Neil Gaiman | Teen Ink

The Sandman by Neil Gaiman

The Sandman
“The Sandman” by Neil Gaiman follows the twisting tale of a being named Dream. He is one of seven siblings: Destiny, Death, Dream, Destruction, Desire, Despair, and Delirium. They all are the embodiment and personification of their names. The books also follow other characters throughout the series, sometimes in a chapter they won’t even mention Dream. But he always gets tied back into the story.

Dream has lots of other names, including Morpheus and The Sandman, hence the title of the series. Dream has three items of power: He has a helmet, which looks like a gasmask except it has a tube at the end, a ruby which can distort reality, and a pouch which is always filled with sand that puts people to sleep.

Death travels the world and goes to people when it’s their time to die. Her one appearance in the series so far was her talking to Dream and getting him out of his depression, he was depressed because he was locked up for a really long time and his realm was in pieces when he finally got out. Death is an interesting character, at one point she says to Morpheus, “Dream, that it is strange that mortals fear me, when I come to them they see nothingness when you go to them you can make them see their worst nightmares.”

The only other one of the eternals to make an appearance in the first two books is Desire. Desire doesn’t have a gender, he/she/it is whatever you desire. Desire plots with Despair to try to overthrow Dream. by trying to make kill someone he is related to.
These are the only eternals that have made appearances in the books so far, Despair made a small appearance in the dolls house but not enough to know her. The rest of the characters in The Sandman series range from humans, to weird creations Dream makes, to the devil. The sandman series is really well made and has a nice blend between the dialogue and the images. Jack Kirby and Ernie Chua are amazing artists and do an amazing job illustrating exactly what Gaiman writes.

The Sandman is an amazing series which is very interesting, dark, and kind of scary at some points. I would not recommend these books to anyone under the age of twelve because of graphic material, and most people of that age wouldn’t be able to handle the content. You will like these books if you like science fiction/fantasy genre.