The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian by Sherman Alexie | Teen Ink

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian by Sherman Alexie

By 10messi BRONZE, Ann Arbor, Michigan
10messi BRONZE, Ann Arbor, Michigan

In my language arts class, we were told to pick a banned book to read and eventually make a review on it and I picked The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian by Sherman Alexie, and to be honest I thought it was the funniest book I read. It mixes the book with several hilarious comics and fills you up with joy. It starts to be sad and makes you stop for a while and think of what happened. As it changes moods so quickly you don’t expect anything that happens which keeps you up and ready and keeps you from getting bored. I definitely recommend this book and think that it really teaches you lessons but beware as it does swear and some words could be offensive, so I do not recommend for 10 or under. It does have alchohol and other things like that but it it all comes with a lesson. DO NOT GET DRUNK! It gets to be a gigantic problem in this story and as well with racism.
The book in my opinion should not have been banned in my opinion as it gives good lessons and made me think completely differently. Give to who are needy, be someone who changes the world for it to be positive and equal. It’s a wonderful book as it makes you experience the book but not feel the pain, basically telling you how it feels.
It makes you a better person, unless if you are only focusing on the swearing. This book eventually gets to a point to where you are a character in the book as well and just sucks you in, not paying attention to the reality but to only the letters on the paper. The pictures in your head eventually become like videos. I got so excited on every single part and couldn’t stop reading. Hopefully you will read this piece of hilarious piece of writing art and feel the way I did.