Feed. by M.T. Anderson | Teen Ink

Feed. by M.T. Anderson

By ckbong42 GOLD, Nashotah, Wisconsin
ckbong42 GOLD, Nashotah, Wisconsin

M.T. Anderson wrote the compelling, yet terrifying novel Feed, which displays the deadly and destructive effects of over-spending on society. Feed takes place in a futuristic world, where technology becomes advanced enough to implant “feeds” within the each citizen’s brains…creating extreme loss of education and consumerism in civilization.
Anderson creates this society worryingly similar to the present day by stretching today’s problems to the extreme. The originality in this futuristic world sets it apart from other novels.
Anderson builds off of America’s obsession with fashion and constant exposure to advertisements through the “feed.” Instead of today’s televisions and cell phones, the people who have the “feed” are unable to turn the “feed” off and have no control over the content presented.
Anderson’s disturbing world is excellent at persuading reader’s to take an interest in the potential threats of technology becoming too advanced.
Companies monitor the “feed” owner’s response to various products and when something is appealing the “feed” presents similar advertisements. This is a way for society to compel society to never stop buying.
Anderson’s made up world shows how technology causes a decline in education. Instead of schools teaching the content they do today, they instruct students on how to properly use the “feed.” Since people can access any information they want from the “feed”" there is no reason to actually learn. This causes extreme ignorance and stupidity within the society.
Anderson’s novel is a needed wakeup call. Even today, cell phones and laptops are an excuse to gain quick snaps of information without having to actually learn or work for it. When technology is taken too far, consumerism will reach an all time high, while education will reach an all time low.
This novel is geared toward teenagers but adults should also be encouraged to read it. People need be aware of the possible consequences to our world if the amount of technology and consumerism become extreme.