The Celebrated Life of the Golden Dragon | Teen Ink

The Celebrated Life of the Golden Dragon

The Celebrated Life of the Golden Dragon portrays the emotional and physical journey Bruce Lee took during his brief life of thirty-two years, as a son, an actor, a martial artist, a philosopher, a husband, a devoted father and as a man. Throughout the book, buffets of photographs reveal a vivid look at his martial arts and acting career. Accompanying these photos are quotes from Bruce Lee. These quotes range from simple profound messages to life lessons spanning pages. Through Bruce's words the reader captures a glimpse of the deeply philosophical man beneath one of the most revered martial artists of our time.

The editor, John Little, successfully weaves a coherent and in depth story of Bruce Lee's life from his mischievous childhood to his later years as a family man. Between these years beautiful visuals are painted: acting at the age of six, studying Gung Fu under grandmaster Yip Man in Hong Kong, first starring Hollywood role in “The Green Hornet,” marriage to his wife Lynda and birth of their son, Brandon Bruce Lee, and the later establishment of his own style of martial arts, “ Jeet Kune Do.”

When you think of Bruce Lee you think of the legendary martial artist, but beyond this silhouette resides a deeply philosophical man whose principals guide him in all his endeavors. “ I have always been a martial artist by choice, an actor by profession, but above all, am actualizing myself to be an artist of life.” The truth is there is no distinction between Bruce Lee the legend and Bruce Lee in person. They are one in the same. “ Ultimately, martial art is the expression of ones self.” This is reflected in Lee's martial art form “Jeet Kune Do” which “ rejects all restrictions imposed by forms and formality and emphasizes the clever use of mind and body to defend an attack” According to Lee “ True observation begins when devoid of set patterns, and freedom of expression occurs when one is beyond systems.”

The Celebrated Life of the Golden Dragon particularly appeals to me as a fellow martial artist and proves to me yet again that dedication and discipline brings great rewards. Bruce Lee exemplifies the philosophy that I too have followed throughout my martial arts training. Bruce Lee's autobiography will capture the attention of the diehard Bruce Lee fans and martial artists alike. I thoroughly enjoyed this in depth view of Bruce Lee's life in his own words. The extensive interviews and beautifully displayed photographic journal give us a genuine feel for Bruce Lee and the man that he truly was.

Stars : *****
Genre : Autobiography