Night by Elie Wiesel | Teen Ink

Night by Elie Wiesel

November 2, 2008
By Anonymous

Night by Elie Wiesel is the tragic story of young Elie as he suffers through the cruelty and malice of the Holocaust. In this book you really get attached to the characters, I actually found myself calling them “my characters” because I felt so much emotion that I thought they did.
The book takes place in Sighet, a small town in Transylvania. When Moché the beadle, a poor but respected villager, warns of a great danger that the Germans bring, no one believes him, but when a short tale becomes reality things start to change rapidly.
Soon town's people are forced out of their homes and are divided into two ghettos where they stay, four or even five families to a house. After living in these poor conditions the entirety of the Jewish community was marched from the ghettos to a train where they were sent to a concentration camp called Auschwitz. When Elie arrived at Auschwitz he was immediately separated from his younger sister and his mother. What he doesn't know is that this will be the last time he will see them. After being selected and put into groups, Elie and his father work in endless labor, fighting for their lives.
These acts remind me of past tennis tournaments that I have participated in. when you first start to play your excited and energetic but as people start getting eliminated you feel like your on your own.
Elie Wiesel is a very talented writer and enjoys sharing deep emotion with the reader. Although I truly love this brilliant literature, and would recommend it to nearly anyone, this book is not fit for the faint hearted. I really enjoyed this book mostly because of the realization of the horrific acts that Elie witnesses in the book.
This book is an incredible story and I recommend it to all except those with a feeble heart.