Flowers for Algernon | Teen Ink

Flowers for Algernon

If you like an interesting science fiction book that pulls you into the story, this is a great one for you. As you start reading the book, you'll notice that it's actually Charlie's journal.

Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes is an amazing story about a boy named Charlie Gordon. He is born with an unusually low IQ. When Charlie thinks he will never become smart, two professors at Beekman University want to perform a surgery on Charlie to increase his intelligents. They had tried it before on a mouse named Algernon.

I don't want to spoil the book for you but it is worth reading. Flowers for Algernon is very well written for two reasons. First, it describes settings and characters well. Second, after Charlie's surgery when he starts becoming smarter, I think that Daniel Keyes did a very good job showing through out the book that the writing doesn't have as much or any spelling errors because of Charlie's intelligents increasing. Also, as Charlie gets smarter, the writing becomes as if a professor is writing it but before it wasn't like that.

My favorite part was when Charlie was so intelligent that he surpassed the professors. Charlie could also speak lots of different languages and talk about things the professors didn't even understand.

This is a great science fiction book that I would recommend to anyone. I think the author's main point is that just because someone is abnormal doesn't mean he/she should be ignored or he/she isn't a real person. Zero being the worst and five being the best, I would rate this a four and a half.