Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo | Teen Ink

Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo

By keels BRONZE, Castro Valley, California
keels BRONZE, Castro Valley, California

“Johnny get your gun!” was a cheer/chant used in America as a way to persuade young men to join the army. This clever play of words by Dalton Trumbo has a separate meaning, indicating the consequences after “getting the gun,” or enlisting in the militia. There is a strong feeling of irony in the title, like so what? Johnny got his gun and now what kind of life is he going to live now? Because of Dalton’s anti-war message, the novel was consequently banned for a period of time; because of the grotesque poetry inside, the government felt that it would discourage the nationalism needed in times of war. The beauty of this novel is the fact that even without much focus on actual warfare, the horrors of battles and war is shown, and in a timeless way through emotions and memories.

Each and every passage captures the attention of the reader, even through the slightly confusing flashbacks. Joe Bonham, the protagonist, is bed ridden after an accident at war. He is immobile but his mind is almost completely active, and readers are enraptured by his stories of love, family, and friends. Throughout the novel you feel sympathy but also burning anger for this character. His experiences in life are so realistic it feels almost as if he could be a brother, a neighbor, or a friend. Joe goes through heartbreaks, foolish accidents, and views the world in a fresh, new way. The accuracy of his reactions to what his life has become is one of the main selling points of this book. The empathetic emotions felt for Joe is so strong that you can’t help but to agree with what Dalton says: nothing in life is worth fighting in a war.

Through Joe’s efforts to break through to the outside world, readers can see the point of view of someone that is living but dead, on the brink of death but also teetering too close to life. His eerie monologues and prayers almost become part of me as I read the book. The unusual standpoint of the character is intriguing and well written by Dalton, especially his portrayal of frustration, anger, and shock. He manages to maintain a connection with the reader without being over exaggerative, despite the unspeakable things that happen to Joe.

Although the some scenes in the novel may seem gruesome, the true brutality lies in the way the oppressive government is depicted. The book is very disturbing because the deceit that is performed by rulers is shown through the very strong phrase, “What you ask is against regulations.” It’s basically another way of showing you understand but don’t care, angering both Joe and the reader. The slow descent of awareness leads to a sense of bewilderment and shock. It is the severe consequences of war that cause the reader to reconsider what actions are appropriate to take in times of disaster. It is the association between a dehumanized person and war that leads to feelings of resentment towards warfare, but also a greater appreciation for family and friends.

Johnny Got His Gun is not just an anti-war novel. It is a book about true compassion, love, family, and knowledge. It captivates your thoughts, emotions, and sense of reality. Reading this book brings you to place unknown to the average human mind, where dreams and reality bleed into one, and there’s almost no way to tell them apart. The novel shows the true colors of the damage wars do, not just physically but also mentally and spiritually, eternally capturing the hearts and souls of readers worldwide.