Perfect Princess by Meg Cabot | Teen Ink

Perfect Princess by Meg Cabot

December 18, 2013
By Kylee Kubojiri BRONZE, Keaau, Hawaii
Kylee Kubojiri BRONZE, Keaau, Hawaii
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Perfect Princess, written by Meg Cabot, is a guide on how to be a flawless girl with a crown. The characters consist of Mia Thermopolis, Grandmère, Michael Moscovitz, Lilly Moscovitz, Tina Hakim Baba, Paolo, Sebastiano, and Hank Thermopolis. They each described a princess, their memorable actions, and what was learned from them. The Princess Diaries is a movie based on Meg Cabot’s The Princess Diaries series. The film, unlike the book, has a storyline. The guide had enlightening information and excellent voice, but nothing enchanted me like the movie did; it actually had a plot. If the novel portrayed Mia’s princess development as the guide, and a plot, it would be better. The theme of Perfect Princess is that every girl has the potential to be a princess, with the help of their victories and mistakes. The director made a scenario for the film, so the characters could develop new qualities as it went on. Mia grew confidence! Mia Thermopolis is a courageous, teenage princess throughout Perfect Princess, while in the movie she starts off as an unconfident, invisible, and unsocial nobody. With the help of her grandmère, she becomes a bold, and affectionate princess. These two Mias are humorous. Her comments in the book are especially funny. After grandma’s speech about Queen Elizabeth’s bravery and generosity while the Nazi’s attacked, “The part about not fearing the Nazi’s is cool.” In the movie, Mia’s clumsy, and felt so accomplished when she spun perfectly. She exclaimed, “Grandma, I spun without hurting anyone!” Mia called grandmère grandmain the movie because in the movie, Mia wasn’t ready to be a princess, and was raised with American terms not Genovia’s terms. Grandmère is a sweet, proper advice giver in both medias, but is candid in the movie, for when she sees Mia she doesn’t say oh you’re beautiful, she hesitates on how to describe her granddaughter and ends up using young. Joseph is Mia’s chaeffuerr, and the advice giver of grandmère and Mia. He has a vibe, and a huge sense of humor, that instantly comforts them. This is probably the reason for grandmère’s feelings about him, and her elegance and beauty is why Jo loves grandmère. The director chose to add Jo to create a sense of forbidden love, that attracts an audience that loves romance. Lilly Moscovitz, in the book, is a funny comic girl, while in the movie she’s a rude, supporting, know-it-all-friend that protects rights and gives to people in need. The movie portrays her qualities better; her humor is better expressed because of the things she says. One of her funniest moments was when she said, “Cute Jeremiah, but a way to a girl’s heart is not treating her like a vending machine.” Fashionisto Sebastiano wasn’t included in the movie. Perhaps the director felt that make-up guru Paolo could play both parts. It’s more memorable because of his accent. In the book, Michael Moscovitz is Mia’s sweet boyfriend, and I mean sweet! He describes the lovely girl as the most attractive, and ideal princess. This was the spotlight of the book; it’s so considerate of him to say those nice things about her. I blushed and smiled because it felt like he was talking about me. In contrast with the film, he goes about unnoticed by Mia, he isn’t the love of her life until the ending, and it was never announced that they were going out. Lana is the popular chick that makes Mia’s life miserable. Her words bring Mia down, and the possible reason for her disconfidence. Josh is Mia’s crush and Lana’s boyfriend, and later ex. He, like Lana, is popular, and unlike Lana, nice. He does manipulate Mia into going out with him because of her popularity. These characters were added in the movie to show how Mia’s development in character, and boost in popularity. Mia’s mom doesn’t have a speaking part in Perfect Princess, but is referred to a few times by Mia. She deserves a speaking part because in the movie, she is a carefree artist, and non-grouchy mom, that focused more on her relationship with her daughter than anything else. Mia’s dad is deceased in the movie, but is talked about in Perfect Princess like he is alive. His character, though dead, plays a major role in the film, for this causes Mia’s life to turn around (becoming a princess, a boost of confidence, a social life, a life she’s satisfied with). These characters were added in the movie to show Mia’s supporters and the reason for her growth, and to create a story line for the movie. Hank is Mia’s cousin, and guest speaker for the guide, in the book. His ranting about corn princess an achievement you have to work hard to accomplish, and his dumb reasons make me laugh. He said that in order to be corn princess, you have to know things that only a limited amount of smart people know, like the state bird. That cracked me up; it’s something everyone can easily learn, and therefore it’s not hard to be corn princess. Just the mention of corn princess being hard is funny because it sounds like something any girl can win at any old small-town county fair. He, and Mia’s Arabic friend, Tina Hakim Baba, aren’t mentioned in the book because they don’t have a significant role in the guide and aren’t close to Mia. They wouldn’t fit into the storyline for the movie. I know what you’re thinking, why is Paolo in the movie? Well, his character is funny due to his accent, therefore attracting more audiences looking for humor. He also reveals to the world that Mia is Genovia’s princess. Maybe this book takes place after all the events in Princess Diaries. The qualities of the characters in the book are expressed by the characters in the movie only as the story develops. In my opinion, watch the movie!


The author's comments:
I was inspired by my last review of Ender's Game the movie, and Ender's Game the book. I hope that people know to always read the book first. If you do, you'll imagine the settings, scenes, and characters. When you watch the movie, you'll then compare your visualization with what the movie presented.