Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane | Teen Ink

Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane

By jack_early BRONZE, San Diego, California
jack_early BRONZE, San Diego, California

Shutter Island by: Dennis Lehane

Shutter Island is a novel written by New York Times bestselling author Dennis Lehane. The story takes place in what we believe to be 1954 on a remote island off the coast of Boston, Massachusetts. The island is home to many things, hundreds of rats, a small forest, oh and of course, the mysterious Ashecliffe Hospital for the Criminally Insane. Teddy Daniels was sent by the U.S. Marshal's office to investigate an escaped patient from the prison-like walls of the hospital. But what Teddy finds only raises more questions about what happens on the island. This book was amazing. I found myself eating up every chapter faster than the last. Dennis Lehane keeps you hanging off the edge of your seat the entire time you read the book, throwing completely insane twists and turns that you don't see coming till they are staring you in the face. I give this book a 9/10. If you are looking for a good book to read, I recommend this one. It does not disappoint.
Teddy Daniels and his new partner, whom he just recently met on the ferry ride over to the island, Chuck Aule arrive at the island on a cold September morning in 1954. They are given a tour of the grounds of the island and taught the rules that they must follow while they are at the island. Slowly as the marshals try to continue their investigation they find that there are more, and more questions that cannot be answered: What goes on behind the walls of the islands lighthouse? What sort of “treatments” are the patients receiving on this island? Who is Andrew Laeddis? All of these questions are answered, just not the way you would expect. I won't say more, for I may reveal the secret of Ashecliffe Hospital.
But wait is Teddy an investigator, or the patient? Teddy’s inner demons start showing and he can’t control them from escaping. The line between sanity and insanity is blurred and everything you know will be questioned. What is actually happening? You’ll ask yourself this countless times throughout the entire mind-bending story.
Shutter Island is a great book to read if you are looking for something to test your mind, to force you to think, and to keep you entertained. I loved reading this book, and I'm sure you will too.