The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins | Teen Ink

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

By Tommyh133 BRONZE, Newark, Delaware
Tommyh133 BRONZE, Newark, Delaware

The Hunger Games, written by Suzanne Collins, is a very enthralling, book which I found myself unable to stop reading. When the book first begins, North America has been destroyed and is now divided into twelve districts, each ruled by an oppressive Capitol, located in district one. Annually, twenty-four tributes are chosen to fight to the death in a giant, treacherous arena. Katniss Everdeen, a sixteen-year-old girl from District twelve, takes her sister’s place as one of twenty-four “tributes” selected to participate in these Hunger Games.

Everything that takes place in the arena is publicized all over the twelve districts. Katniss not only deals with the struggle for survival, but also deals with a romance between her and another tribute from the same District. The Hunger Games is the first book in a trilogy, and it was released in 2008. The final installation of the series came out in August 2010. The Hunger Games trilogy won several awards and was a New York Times bestseller.

The Hunger Games was one of the most intense and thrilling books, I have ever read. As Katniss made allies and foes in the arena, I found myself unable to put the book down. The creativity of this futuristic, disastrous world impressed me, keeping me on the edge of my seat. The Hunger Games was an excellent read that I highly recommend. It was an excellent book with an exceedingly creative plot.