Good Omens | Teen Ink

Good Omens

Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman is a fictional story about the end of the world which, according to one Agnes Nutter, Witch, is next Saturday, but the Antichrist has been misplaced. In order to stop the end of the world from happening, an unlikely team comprised of an angel, a demon, a witch, a witch finder, and four kids must try to find the misplaced Antichrist and put a stop to the Apocalypse. What might otherwise be a pretty dark story is made light by the humor that can be found throughout Good Omens. The demon Anthony Crowley's first name is mentioned only a few times throughout the book; one of those times is in direct reference to the song “Frog he would a-wooing go” which talks about a frog named Anthony Rowley. The reference is then made clear when Crowley then says “Hey-ho” in reference to the chorus of the song. While some of the humor may be missed by those who are not as well read as its authors, Good Omens is jam packed with allusions and written in a way as to still be understandable and engaging even if you can only catch some of the humor.