The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins | Teen Ink

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

November 21, 2013
By Anonymous

The book I am reviewing is The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. To start off I’d like to say that this book is for anyone who would enjoy a good read, it has almost every aspect of interest in it from action, to romance people across the board will enjoy this book. It teaches many lessons such as don’t give up, fame and fortune isn’t everything or everything has its own price..
The book starts out with one of our main characters and protagonists Katniss Everdeen who lives in district 12 of the country Panem. She may be a girl but since her father is passed someone has to put food on the table for her mother and little sister Prim, she uses her hunting skills to feed her and her family also bartering pelts and other things for goods, but today isn’t any day in Panem, It’s reaping day. You see every year the capitol has an event called the hunger games where two people from each district battle in an arena until all but one is dead, reaping day is the day that two “tributes” (a boy and a girl) are selected randomly from each district. When Katniss’ younger sister Prim gets selected for tribute Katniss steps up as volunteer to fill her position the other tribute is Peeta Mellark from a family of bakers who also has crush on Katniss. Who will win the ultimate battle of life or death? find out when you read the novel.
Some of the major points in the book would be when Prim is chosen at the reaping and Katniss volunteers for tribute. Another would be when Peeta is chosen and says that he loves Katniss, or when Katniss and Rue (a girl from district 11) decide to team up. A turning point in the book would be when the announcer (Claudius) says that two people from the same district can win if they both make it through. And finally when Peeta and Katniss both win rather than commit suicide.
I would say that the main protagonist is Katniss where she has to overcome the game and the antagonist would have to be the people running Panem or the hunger games itself because she has to overcome this.I would say the main idea of the book is that everything has an opportunity cost, an example would be where she volunteers in place of her sister. Prim is safe but now Katniss has to be in the games. Another would be Katniss winning, she may have fame and fortune but now she has to be with Peeta for publicity.
Although the book was very good at parts I would have to give it a 3 out of 5 because there were times that I would get bored and felt like the same thing was happening or nothing was really progressing to me.


The author's comments:
Orange Juice is pretty good

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 0 comments.