Eragon by Christopher Paolini | Teen Ink

Eragon by Christopher Paolini

By r8m9cjams BRONZE, Charleston, West Virginia
r8m9cjams BRONZE, Charleston, West Virginia

Eragon is a book by Christopher Paolini. He is known for his love of fantasy. Eragon is the first book in a series known as the Inheritance Cycle. Christopher Paolini lives in Montana. The area surrounding his home is where he got the idea for the land the stories take place in, Alasaesia.

Eragon is a simple farm boy who lives near the town Carvalahall. He lives with his uncle, Garrow, and his cousin, Roran. They are very poor. So Eragon is forced to hunt for them to survive.

One day hunting in the Spine, a wild mountain range where nearly no one dares to go, Eragon finds a perfectly smooth round blue stone. After trying to sell it a few times it hatches a blue dragon later named Saphaira. Unfortunately the evil ruler of the land, Galbatorix, wants the egg and sends two inhuman agents, the Ra’zac, to collect it while Roran is away with a new job and Eragon is taking care of Saphaira. While looking for it they kill Garrow and destroy their house. He then sets out with Brom, a story teller with a strange but useful skillset, seeking revenge on the Ra’zac for the death of his uncle.

When Saphaira hatched she bonded herself to Eragon making him a Dragon Rider. The Dragon Riders are an ancient order that kept peace in the land. Galbatorix destroyed them to rise to power. Eragon will have to develop many skills in his journey including mind reading-influence, sword fighting, and magic.

I loved Eragon. It has just the right amount of hack and slash action and intriguing story. For that reason I would recommend it for anyone over the age of 7. It is one of the best books I have ever read and I read a lot.