Wonder by R.J. Palacio | Teen Ink

Wonder by R.J. Palacio

By GwynethElyse BRONZE, Bluemont, Virginia
GwynethElyse BRONZE, Bluemont, Virginia

"It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live"-Albus Dumbledore

Being different is hard. It is human nature to want to be accepted in a group. Whether this group all dresses the same way, speaks the same language, has the same hair color, of even lives in the same country, it feels nice to be part of something. On the first day of middle school, everyone starts with a clean plate. You can wear whatever you like, look however you want, and no one will give it a second thought. Everyone fits in on the first day, rather, everyone doesn't fit in on the first day. Either way, everyone is more or less in the same boat. What if, however, you know that you can never truly fit in; that you will always be different? This is how August Pullman feels every day.
August has a rare physical deformity that makes his face look like it is, more or less, being melted off. This may sound like a harsh statement, but August knows how he looks. He just wants people to be able to see past his face, to see that he is just a normal kid who likes Star Wars and playing with his dog. Sixth grade might just be the thing he needs. August had been homeschooled all his life, and now that he is old enough to start middle school, his parents sign him up to attend Beecher Prep. With high hopes to finally be accepted by his peers, August takes a leap of faith, and starts the year that will change his life forever.
Author R.J. Palacio created a heartwarming story that reaches out to all of us who have ever felt different and rejected. Wonder teaches an important lesson, with surprisingly relatable and humorous characters that should be on everyone’s to-read list.