Lupita Manana by Patricia Beatty | Teen Ink

Lupita Manana by Patricia Beatty

October 25, 2013
By Ruby Sanchez BRONZE, Denver, Colorado
Ruby Sanchez BRONZE, Denver, Colorado
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Lupita Manana Review

A completely intriguing novel about two kids immigrating to the United States. Lupita and salvador, immigrate to the U.S to get a job after there dad died in a fishing accident to help their mom with expenses. Lupita Manana really captivates what kids would go through having to cross the border by themselves ,how they leave their childhood behind to grow up and face reality, and the struggles they would go threw to survive. Patricia Beatty is very good in describing everything down to the little details that it feels like whatever she is explaining is right in front of you. This book is not a bad book but its not so great either. Pfatricia Beatty really uses unrealistic scenarios that would most likely not happen in real life. The two kids get too lucky at points where you know in real life that is least likely to happen which shows false hope you can say.

Other than that I liked some points of the story. I liked how mostly what the kids go thru is true , a lot of kids in mexico are going through the same while trying to sneak into the U.S.A for a better life and for the American dream. While you read this book you really can see the struggles kids go through just to try to get to the U.S to work and to have what you really don't appreciate because they have no other choice than to risk their lives.

I would recommend this book to people who like stories that are related to real life situations and who enjoy reading about struggles people have to go through to live well. I would read this book again because i find it interesting and i can imagine everything that is going on. A connection i can make of this book is that it reminds me a lot of the movie “Bajo La Misma Luna” spanish for Under the same moon where this little boy has to cross the border by himself to come meet his mom over here that he hadn't seen in the longest time because his grandma died and she was the only one that took care of him. Lupita Manana reminds me of that movie because the kids mostly go threw the same struggles trying to cross. So if you Like Bajo La Misma Luna I recommend for you to read Lupita Manana.