The Giver by Lois Lowry | Teen Ink

The Giver by Lois Lowry

October 17, 2013
By CookingPan123 BRONZE, Charleston, West Virginia
CookingPan123 BRONZE, Charleston, West Virginia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The Giver by Lois Lowry
The Giver was written by Lois Lowry. Lois wrote the Giver in 1993. Lois is also the author of Number the Stars, Gathering Blue, Messenger, and many other great books. Lois has also been awarded the New Berry Medal in 1989 and 1993 along with the Margaret Edwards Award in 2007. Her two most popular books wer the Giver and Number the Sraes. Lois is known for making her books about difficult subjects like racism, muder, etc.
The Giver is a children’s book about a kid named Jonas. At the beginning of the story Jonas is 11 years old but in December him and all the other 11 year olds turn 12 and are given the job that they will train for for the next few years. The takes place in the future where everything is the same. When December comes up Jonas and all of his friends are wondering what job they will have to train for and eventually do for a living. When the ceremony of 12 starts Jonas does not have any idea on what he will be chosen to do. Jonas was about to get his number called to walk up on stage to be given his job. When his number was up next he became nervous but also ready but when he was about to stand up the announcer skipped him!
When this event happens is when the book starts getting more entertaining and more fun to read in my opinion. Before this the book was good but not very entertaining. So if you are not prepared to wait a bit for the book to be fun to read and make you want to take time out of your day to read it, DO NOT READ THIS BOOK. Now back to telling you the story, after Jonas was skipped he began to panic and get very scared. When everyone was given their job, the chief elder who is the speaker began to say that she skipped Jonas on purpose. She said she skipped him because she wanted to save the best for last. Jonas was chosen to be the new receiver! The receiver is the person that keeps all the memories from the past. The reason why the book is called the Giver is because the last receiver gives the information to the currant receiver so they became the Giver.
I thought that the book The Giver was a very entertaining book. One thing is that you do have to get a little bit far in the book until it gets enjoyable in my opinion. The Giver is not a very funny book or intense or anything but somehow its still fun to read. I enjoyed reading this book. I highly recommend this book.