The House On Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros | Teen Ink

The House On Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros

By Gabby68 SILVER, New Jersey, New Jersey
Gabby68 SILVER, New Jersey, New Jersey

"I'm selfish impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."-Marilyn Monroe

Dear, Sandra Cisneros

Your book The House On Mango Street showed me the world with fresh eyes. Most children don’t live in big extravagant houses, with maids who wash their cloths clean there laundry make them food and have almost everything prepared for them. It is even harder to live in a new country, speaking little English.

My father grew up in the Dominican Republic and came to America when he was 14. He was an immigrant like many others, and the horrors you face becoming an American citizen is no laughing matter. You do not grow up in a big beautiful house, money is tight, and you do not have many friends. These days, where you live can have an on how you act but you try to prove you are something, that you are more unadulterated then the rest. You dream that someday you will live in a big extravagant house and everything will be better.

Your book meant so much to me because I live in an expensive town where most of my friends have big houses. Well, houses bigger then mine anyway. And you may be ashamed to say where you live. Because people will judge you on the size and condition But this book told me, “don’t be ashamed of who you are because you will always be that same person.” These obstacles that get in a persons way only make you stronger. Those people that once grew up with all the money may not have as much anymore. Someone, who was less fortunate might have the money they once desired when they was young. So the question remains: “would you still be embraced when you have all the money, because you are still you but only stronger.” Your book allowed me to see this, and I am so much more grateful for what I have and will never take anything for granted. Because the most important thing is to remember who you are, not what you have.

I wish more people could read your book and learn this very important lesson that everyone should know. You do not have friends because of the money you have and you do not have family that loves you because you give them gifts. You have friends and family because of who you are. This message was very well broadcast through your book. Thank you for teaching many others, and me, a very important lesson.

This book is a must read! After you finishing reading you see the world with a shoe new attitude.

on Nov. 6 2013 at 9:03 am
lizsarah5240 SILVER, West Windsor, New Jersey

"You always miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
-Wayne Gretzky

Good job! nice essay

on Nov. 6 2013 at 9:01 am
It's amazing

on Nov. 6 2013 at 8:59 am
Nicole9321 SILVER, West Windsor, New Jersey
SO GOOD!! YOU GO GIRL WERK THAT ESSAY