The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton | Teen Ink

The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton

By JasonWong358 SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
JasonWong358 SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

When was a time when you had to live with pain? How did it make you feel? Were you normal or grieving and dragging yourself along? Would you rather be rich and maybe even snobbish, or poor and have to watch your back wherever you go, even near your own home? What would you do if you were falsely blamed for murder? If these questions all intrigue you, then you would probably enjoy The Outsiders, written by S.E. Hinton.

In the world of Ponyboy Curtis, the protagonist, there are two types of people. Socs, which is short for “socials”, are rich kids that are sometimes spoiled or snobbish. The other people are greasers, who must constantly watch their backs. Being a greaser could be dangerous at certain points throughout the book. In the novel, Ponyboy Curtis is blamed for murder on a fateful night when a gang of socs jump his best friend, Johnny, and him. His world spirals out of control, and he must face numerous conflicts.

Ponyboy, one of my favorite characters, is a quiet, shy fourteen year old kid who is different from the rest of his gang in several ways. He enjoys reading books and watching movies, but most of his gang would not be able to sit still for a long amount of time. Ponyboy is curious, courageous, handsome, and in a way, innocent. In addition, he has a slight build and is not that tall. He is also good at just about anything.

Ponyboy’s best friend, Johnny Cade, who is another of my favorite characters, is sixteen years old. To Ponyboy, Johnny seems like an abused puppy. His parents are abusive, and he was once beat up and almost killed by a gang of rich kids. Johnny’s self-esteem is low, and he tries to help others keep their childhood innocence after he loses his own.

For the two boys, pain is a motif sprinkled throughout the book. They constantly feel pain once the events start, whether it is physical or mental pain. They lose people, get injured, fight for their lives, and face much more. It is interesting to read about how they cope with the pain and what they do.

This is a very interesting realistic fiction/adventure/thriller coming-of-age novel. As the book goes on, Ponyboy matures. He faces many horrible situations, and feels much pain. Furthermore, this book has won numerous awards. These include the New York Herald Tribune Best Teenage Books List in 1967, Chicago Tribune Book World Spring Festival Honor Book in 1967, the Media and Methods Maxi Award in 1975, and a few other great awards. Moreover, over 13 million copies of The Outsiders have been sold. This book made me feel multiple emotions in just a few seconds of reading, and it has taught many young adults, teenagers, and children about the value of reading and of staying innocent as a child. Get ready to become an eyewitness of Ponyboy’s and Johnny’s intriguing adventure.

kw818 said...
This is an excellent book review. The book review is interesting and intriguing. It stirs up my emotions and makes me want to read this book.