The Fault In Our Stars by John Green | Teen Ink

The Fault In Our Stars by John Green

By whatwhatwhat BRONZE, Charleston, West Virginia
whatwhatwhat BRONZE, Charleston, West Virginia

"Huh? What? Oh. Yeah."

A Wonderful Read

The novel, The Fault In Our Stars, was written by John Green. John Green has also written Looking For Alaska, An Abundance Of Katherines, Paper Towns, and some other great books. His style is fun, quirky, and witty. I love this book and have read it many times. This book is purely a cancer love-story; a cancer girl meets a cancer boy and they fall in love.

The Fault In Our Stars takes place in Indiana during the present. The story settles on a 16-year-old girl by the name of Hazel Grace Lancaster. Hazel was diagnosed with thyroid and lung cancer at the age of 13. This particular type of cancer requires her to wear a cannula and have an oxygen tank with her at all times. She is very smart; however, she does not have many friends. She regularly goes to a cancer support group and one day, she meets Augustus “Gus” Waters. Augustus has had osteosarcoma and has “about 1.4 legs.” Gus is funny, flirty, and very attractive.

Hazel is obsessed with the author of a book called An Imperial Affliction and would absolutely love to meet him. We learn that Hazel has already used her only cancer wish to go to Disney World, but Gus has not. Gus offers to share his unused wish with her. He promises to take the both of them to Amsterdam, where the author lives. Hazel becomes very excited and starts packing right away.

They get to Amsterdam and love it there. It is beautiful, romantic, and they love the food. However, Hazel Grace becomes very upset when she realizes what a “jerk” her favorite author is. She does not get the answers to her questions about the story. Later in Amsterdam, Augustus breaks some pretty big news to Hazel.

I do not want to spoil this amazing story for any of you readers. I would definitely recommend this novel to any young adults who love sad, yet beautiful romance. Make sure you pick up this book when you get the chance. I’m not going to lie; I cried a bit while reading this. I hope you all has an amazing time reading this. Enjoy!