Million-Dollar Throw by Mike Lupica | Teen Ink

Million-Dollar Throw by Mike Lupica

By driggsolicious_13 BRONZE, Charleston, West Virginia
driggsolicious_13 BRONZE, Charleston, West Virginia

You can't change the world sitting down.

Million-Dollar Throw By: Mike Lupica
An Inspirational Book for All Ages

Million-Dollar Throw was written by Mike Lupica. Mike Lupica is the author of many other stories like Travel Team and Heat. He is known for writing books about sports. Lupica’s books have been nominated for the Edgar Allen Poe Award too. His books are entertaining, vivid, and they are page turners.

Million-Dollar Throw is an inspirational book that is set in Valley, Massachusetts. The main character is Nate Brodie and his best friend Abby. Nate is an all-star quarterback for Valley Middle School. He is in eighth grade and always had his best friend Abby by his side. Nate lives life pretty easy at school from popularity. Abby is a half-bling straight A student that got through school with the help of Nate.

Nate is the big dog on campus. His eighth grade year was going by really fast and easy. He was the starting quarterback and tried to make his love for the game stronger every day. Football was his dream. Nate was also known to have a very accurate and powerful arm.
Nate’s family has been struggling with money for a while. His parents didn’t have enough money for his dream birthday present. So for a few years he had been saving for a football signed by Tom Brady. Nate called it the Brady Ball. On Nate’s thirteenth birthday Nate went to the sports store and bought the ball. While he was there Abby, who had tagged along, saw a poster to enter a contest to win a million dollars. Abby persuaded Nate to enter. A week later the drawing for the tickets to be able to win the million dollars happened and Nate didn’t believe what happened next.
The theme for Million-Dollar Throw to me is to never give up and to not let the hard times get in your way. “You gotta stop acting as if it’s on you to win the game all by yourself”, Pete said. “Or think you’re losing it all by yourself.” The tone of the story was exciting but serious.
Nate seemed like a very nice person. He has a lot of troubles at home but he always seems to concur his problems. Nate never lets himself get too low in his feelings. That is why he pursued and won. He just kept going and brought himself to feel okay to get through life.
Million-Dollar Throw is an exciting book with emotions that makes the story feel like it’s right there. The characters fit in with the setting and plot very well. Million-Dollar Throw is a book that you can’t stop reading. The way it makes your emotions move with the story is brilliant. It made me very unhappy when it ended.