True Legend by Mike Lupica | Teen Ink

True Legend by Mike Lupica

By Beachbabejeremy34 BRONZE, Charleston, West Virginia
Beachbabejeremy34 BRONZE, Charleston, West Virginia

"I like food"

The book True Legend was written by Mike Lupica. He is also the author of many other great children’s sports books such as Million Dollar Throw and The Bat Boy. His book, Dead Air, was nominated for the Edgar Allen Poe award. Mike joined the New York Daily News in 1977. He worked there for 30+years.

True Legend is a great story that takes place in present-day Santa Barbara, California. The main characters are Drew, Lee, and Legend. Drew is a freshman and Lee is a senior at Oakley High school. Drew is the best player in the country, but always has trouble when it comes to passing, especially to Lee. He doesn’t like to pass because he always wants to be in control. Him wanting control cost them big in the game against Park, though.

Oakley was squaring off against Park. This would be the biggest game of all of high-school basketball this year. It would be the biggest game because the two best players in the country were on either team, squaring off toe to toe. Between King Gadsen, Park’s star player, and Drew Robinson, Oakley’s star player, who would come off on time?

Prior to the game over a three day span, Drew had been seeing a ghost man on the court. Tonight though, he would actually get a chance to meet this ghost guy. The mysterious man and Drew talked for a little bit and the man described himself as a man named Legend. The man told Drew all about his future and who he became. What would Drew’s future consist of? Success or failure?

The theme of True legend is to never let your sports get caught up in your school work. The theme is this because he plays basketball for his school. He is always skipping class and not turning things in because mind is never on anything but basketball. Because of this Drew Robinson, the greatest player in the whole country is almost cut from the team, making King Gadsen technically the best player.

True Legend is a great book filled full of excitement. This book kept me entertained the whole time I was reading it. I would definitely recommend this to any sport crazy kid. I enjoyed reading this book and hopefully you do, too!

ballslinger said...
Bruhh this book is gonna be awesome

ballslinger said...
Bruhh this book is gonna be awesome

Black_power said...
Black_power,
What's the illustration of setting in this book