Heat by Mike Lupica | Teen Ink

Heat by Mike Lupica

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York

Mike Lupica creates wonder and suspense in his book Heat as readers are filled with excitement, worry, doubt, fear, and interest. His book will keep reader's eyes glued to the pages. Published in 2006, this book became a #1 New York Times bestseller as soon as it came out in the bookstores.

Heat is based on a fourteen year old's life in hiding. Michael Arroyo is adjusting to life without his dad, who died in May. Life without a dad is hard because you have to live with the grief, the worry, and the stress; you also have to live without the care having a dad brings. He has to hide from “official persons” such as police, children services people, etc., because if they find out that he and his brother are living alone, then they will be sent back to Cuba or separated.

The story revolves around Michael and his brother Carlos who are having a hard time without their father. Carlos has to work at two jobs so that he can come up with enough money to pay the rent for the apartment and the bills. Readers feel the stress and the pain that Carlos feels as he worries about what might happen to him and his brother. They have come up with a lie about their father so that when anyone asks where he is they will be ready. The story is, Papi had gone to visit a sick brother in Key West, Florida, and Mrs. C is looking after them.

Mike Lupica fills the reader with excitement and enjoyment as he pulls them into Michael Arroyo's world. Readers will feel like they are in Michael's shoes, witnessing the events that take place in his life. They will get so drawn into the book, they will not be able to set it down. The Bronx is where Michael lives, 825 Gerard to be exact. Mike Lupica recreates life in the city in his book. With the sound of the subway, the chatter, and the noise, readers will feel like they are in the Bronx with Michael.

Readers will be impressed by the amount of knowledge the author has about the Cuban people, the Bronx, and the Yankees. They will also be impressed by the amount of Spanish the author knows. The author creates a wonderful image of the characters in your mind, from Justin the Jerk to Manny Cabrera “the entertainer” as he was dubbed by Michael.

The way Mike Lupica explains how Papi looked, and acted, the reader will get a good image of what he looked like and how he talked. One of Papi's favorite sayings was “if you only ask God ‘why?' when bad things happen, how come you don't ask Him the same question about all the good?” Another was “be content with what you have and don't push yourself too hard or else you will end up with nothing.”

This novel is for multi-cultural fiction reading young adults. This book is for young adults who enjoy reading about sports and have an understanding of baseball. Michael's life is a story of loss, love, and overcoming loss so that you can enjoy the good things life brings. It deals with the important lesson that life may be bad, but things can change for the better at unexpected times. Michael's Papi died but he overcame that by playing baseball. His life changed for the better because by playing baseball and winning games, his team makes it to the Little League finals. Michael also gets to meet his hero El Grande and he gets to play inside the Yankee Stadium.

Readers will most likely be unable to set the book down once they get started. This book will keep readers on the edge of their seat, and they will wonder about what will happen to Michael Arroyo and his brother Carlos. The grief of loss, the overcoming of fear and worry, and the bonds of friendship will touch the hearts of all book lovers who pick this book up and start reading it.

on Nov. 12 2017 at 11:39 am
Anal is soothing

Heat is a great book for people who love baseball.

tony2424 said...
is this an essay

Slenderman said...
on Dec. 2 2013 at 10:45 am
I like barrels!!!

same with me I loved it

chelsea (: said...
Micheal was actually only 12 in the book, but other than that it is a good review

SeptJess16 BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York

"Where classification is key, I want to erase the shred lines so I can be ME." - Stacey-Ann Chin

I read this book when I was in 8th grade. I didnt think it would be good, but I'm glad I was wrong because I really enjoyed it.

Great Review.

MLStamp SILVER said...
MLStamp SILVER, Annandale, Virginia

Thats what we all are. Ameteurs. We don't live long enough to become anything else. -Charlie Chaplin

This book is absolutely amazing! It is very well written and turned me into a Mike Lupica Fan!

belenhyuuga said...
I read his book for school. I think I would have liked it much more if reading it didn't remind me of the ton of summer homework I have on it.

KEEMIA STAR said...
on Jun. 11 2009 at 1:42 am
I LOVE HEAT!!! IT IS AWESOME!!!