Insurgent by Veronica Roth | Teen Ink

Insurgent by Veronica Roth

September 5, 2013
By cupcake12600 BRONZE, Charleston, West Virginia
cupcake12600 BRONZE, Charleston, West Virginia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The book Insurgent was well written by Veronica Roth. This book is a part of her series, Divergent. She is currently writing a third book to the series. On the book, she was rewarded by amazing reviews from brilliant writers. Her writing style is well thought though with words that stick out to the reader as they read through the book. A lot of people love her books and enjoy reading them.

Insurgent is a fictional young adult book that takes place in the far future. The main characters are both in great danger for being divergent and powerful. Tris and Tobias are a couple striving for their lives. They are both stubborn about their safety and it shows when it comes to missions they have to face. Through all of the battle going on between the Erudite and Dauntless traitors against the Dauntless and Abnegation, Tobias and Tris must still stay hopeful for each other. The previous book, we watched their romance bloom and now it has finally got to this point. Therefore no one wants it to stop except Jeanine who wants the all dead so the people can be under her control.

Since Jeanine created a serum to take over people’s minds, she has been wanting more. Although she didn’t know the serum did not control the Divergent, so now she is been testing serums to take over even Divergent. Although she didn’t know that they were working on a plan as well. As the book goes on, you will find that there are many things that will surprise you. This is an intense book where you are left in suspense.

The theme of Insurgent is that you need to fight for what is right and never give up. Sometimes, at least for me, I couldn’t tell exactly what the authors tone was. The reason is because some of the time it was danger and action type words but other times they were happy like when Tris was around Tobias. But the overall tone was smart and tricky. Just when you thought one thing was happening, it would twist and another thing would happen. The characters were at times impatient and always stressed. Being stressed made the anger come out in them so that was part of the tone as well. Everybody fighting just wanted it to be over but sadly they had to fight for it.

Insurgent is a book that uses vivid words to explain how the government controls the people in the future. People try to take back the freedom and overthrow the government that’s taken charge. All of this while Tobias and Tris are trying to keep up their relationship. Who will win, the good or the bad?

Insurgent is an edge of your seat book full of excitement, adventure, and twist and turns! It shows more about the characters true identity throughout the book more so than the first book. I personally loved it and couldn’t put it down. I would recommend this book to a person of any age wanting an amazing novel. If you haven’t already, please read this amazing book!