The Fault is in Our Stars by John Green | Teen Ink

The Fault is in Our Stars by John Green

September 5, 2013
By ashtonsettle BRONZE, Alum Creek, West Virginia
ashtonsettle BRONZE, Alum Creek, West Virginia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The book The Fault in Our Stars was written by John Green. John Green is an award winning, New York Times-bestselling author whose many accolades include the Printz Medal, a Printz honor, and the Edgar Award. He has been a finalist 2 times for LA Times book Prize. With his brother, Hank, John was in one of the most popular online video projects in the world! John lives with his wife and son in Indianapolis, Indiana. This book is now my favorite books of all time!
The Fault in Our stars is a teen/young adult fictional novel. The main characters of the novel are cancer-support group members, Augustus Waters and Hazel Grace. They’re both in high school, but hazel was taken out. She was taken out because she got diagnosed with thyroid cancer. Her living rate is only 40% percent chance of 5 years! While Augustus is in school, but has also had an experience with cancer. That experience has cost him his leg, from the knee down! I would call Hazel Grace very plain and a depressed girl. In the other hand I would call Augustus a very adventurous person that likes to explore life instead of taking it for granted. They both get an instinct of liking each other!
Hazel woke up one day to her mom telling her to get ready for cancer-support group. She was not excited at all! She thought it would be one of her normal week meeting. But she soon realized it was not! When she got there she decided the best thing to do is go and get a cookie and some lemonade. When she turned around she noticed this guy starring at her. She has never seen this guy before, but he was a little cute so it made her blush. So she decided to just look away and go and sit down. Then came in her “support group friend” Isaac. After the whole thing was over Isaac came over and was talking to her when the mysterious boy comes up and starts talking to Isaac. He introduced himself as one of Isaac’s friend. His name was Augustus Waters.
A few months have passed and Augustus (Gus) and Hazel have become very fond of each other. They are what you would call boyfriend and girlfriend now. Augustus has decided to use his “cancer wish” on Hazel and take her to Amsterdam to see one of her favorite writers! They both have a love of one of the writers books. When they get there, Augustus takes hazel out to a very fancy restaurant. They had the best time! But later the next day their day turns out to be not so great. The writer has turned into a complete nut ball! And on top of that Hazel just figures out that Augustus’s cancer is back. And it is really bad this time! She is very worried at this point! Will Augustus be alright? Will he fight through his cancer?
The theme of this novel is you should get to know a person before you judge them! You might have a problem but that doesn’t mean you’re a bad person. Don’t Judge a book by its cover! John Green identifies the theme by making hazel the way she is. She shows that she might look a way but could act completely different. The author tells you about this novel in a lovely, thrilling way!
The fault in our stars was an amazing book! It explains a love story in a thrilling, yet exciting way. It is absolutely wonderful. I would recommend this book! This novel would be great for a teenager girl! I think all girls would enjoy this book.