The Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan | Teen Ink

The Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan

September 5, 2013
By homerunhitter1010 BRONZE, Charleston, West Virginia
homerunhitter1010 BRONZE, Charleston, West Virginia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The book The Mark of Athena was written by Rick Riordan. He is also the author of the critically acclaimed series Percy Jackson and the Olympians. He currently lives in San Antonio Texas, where he continues to write today. His style of writing includes adventure, mystery, and science fiction. He has won many awards from his multiple hit series.

The Mark of Athena is a fictional young adult book that takes place in many locations, such as Atlanta Georgia, Topeka Kansas, Charleston South Carolina, and Rome. The main characters of the story are a group of demigods that set out to save the world from a race of giants that are rising. They include Percy, Annabeth, Luke, Piper, Jason, Hazel, and Leo. On their quest they find many twists and turns, that finally lead them to Rome.

The book starts out with the group flying from the Greek demigod camp, to the Roman demigod camp to try and restore peace. They are flying on Argo Two, which is a warship that Leo built. When they finally arrive, the camp accepts them. While they are talking, an evil spirit possesses Leo, causing him to start firing on the camp! The others rush back to the ship and leave. Leo explains what happens and they forgive him, but the Romans continued to chase them.

That night in a dream Piper sees a man in Topeka that she is talking to. The next morning she tells the group, and they agree to follow the lead, since that is all they have. Once they arrive, they find the man. He tells them to find an ancient sea god in Atlanta. When they arrive in Atlanta, they go to the aquarium. The man expects them, and tells them to search for a map in Charleston. After that, he turns evil and tries to capture them, they escape and hurry back to the ship. They set sail for Charleston, and arrive the next morning.

They go to where the god described to them. They found themselves at Fort Sumter. They are met by Pipers mom, Arthedite the god of beauty. She gives them the map, and talks about their quest ahead. They return to the ship, and head off to Rome. After many days of traveling, and battling monsters they arrive in Rome. Annabeth, being the daughter of Athena has to go and find her mom’s lost statue, so her mom will be respected by the Romans. The others go to fight the giants that kidnapped Hazel’s brother.

Annabeth starts traveling in the underground tunnels that should lead her to the statue. Along the way she runs into a lot of obstacles, that involves skill and brains. Finally, she reaches the statue, but it is being guarded by the spider god. She tricks the god into sewing a Chinese finger trap. The god is then tricked into getting inside. While the god is squirming around, she falls into the Pits of Tartarus.

The others go and fight the giants in the coliseum. Jason uses his power of lightning, and Percy uses his power of water, to team up on the giants. In order to completely kill a giant, gods and demigods have to be working together. It turns out that the man from Kansas was a wine god. He helped them kill the giants, and rescue Hazel’s brother. After that, they went and helped Annabeth. When they arrive, Percy jumps out of the ship, and runs to help. As they were leaving, Percy and Annabeth fall into the Pits of Tartarus. The book ends with the rest of the group leaving, and thinking of a way to save them!

All in all, The Mark of Athena is a great book that I would recommend to anyone. Before you read this, I would suggest reading the other books in the series so you could get a better understanding of what is going on. I think the book has a great combination of adventure, mythology, and drama. It also has many twists and turns that leave the reader on edge. I hope you can enjoy the book as much as I did!