City of Bones by Cassandra Clare | Teen Ink

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

By Corinne16 BRONZE, Charleston, West Virginia
Corinne16 BRONZE, Charleston, West Virginia

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
Captivating Beginning to a Good Series
Rank: ****

The book City of Bones was written by Cassandra Clare, an astounding authoress. She has written many books, five of them making up “The Mortal Instruments” series, City of Bones being the first. All have received praise and acclamation. Today she is currently living in Massachusetts. She has a very descriptive and informative writing style that draws you into the book.

City of Bones is a suspense-filled mystery that takes place in present day New York. Clary Fay, the normal teenager who takes center-stage in this book, discovers a whole new world along with her best friend Simon. Clary is the only one who sees a murder at a popular, out-of-this-world club. While Simon would have believed Clary, she thinks the murder was only part of her imagination, doubting herself. Though, imagination suddenly turns into reality, as she is sucked into the world of vampires, werewolves, and the all-important Shadowhunters.

“Just promise me you won’t come home. Go to Simon’s and call Luke-tell him that he’s found me-”. Clary’s world will now forever be intertwined in the world of the supernatural. Her mom has gone missing, a warning and frightening phone call the last she has heard from her. Plus she is still reeling from a demon attack-on her. With the help of her new “friends”, the murders from the club, Clary has to brave this new secretive world, trying to find her mom, and the truth, in the middle of it. She still has questions that nobody can answer. Why her? Why her mom? What makes them a target? This is a shocking book full of twists and turns that will keep you guessing.

Shadowhunters. Shadowhunters are people like you and me-except they are half angel. They are the guardians of our world and strive to keep us safe-safe from what? Demons and rouge werewolves, vampires, and magical beings that try and harm humans. We can’t see them unless they want us too, and sometimes we won’t see what they really look like. They live their lives with the sole purpose to protect us risking their lives every day. In this new world Clary will have to learn how to survive and how to deal with death.

I give this book a good rating because I really enjoyed it. This book kept me thinking and wanting more. Cassandra Clare draws you into a world you never thought could exist and makes it seem real. You feel and see what the characters experience in their adventures. While I loved the book I would only recommend it to those who want to read the entire series. To feel closure or an ending you have to read the rest of the series books:

City of Bones

City of Ashes

City of Glass

City of Fallen Angels

City of Lost Souls
City of Bones is a mystery you will want to solve. With action around every corner and suspicions changing with every page it is an enthralling book. I would recommend this book to those looking for a story filled with the supernatural, adventure, and romance combined. Each character has their own story and personality that contributes to a larger, thrilling picture. I believe it is a worth-while read that everyone could relate to.