Slammed by Colleen Hoover | Teen Ink

Slammed by Colleen Hoover

By EmAngster00 SILVER, Calavi, Other
EmAngster00 SILVER, Calavi, Other

""You can’t be like me
But be happy that you cant
I see pain but I don’t feel it
I am like the old Tin Man.” - Tin Man, The Avett Brothers

The series is made up of three books: Slammed, Point of Retreat and This Girl.
Needless to say...Colleen Hoover worked her magic once again! (I think that after Sarah dessen, she is my next favourite author!)
The first thing that enthralled me about these three books was the fact that Colleen Hoover starts each chapter with a quote. More specifically, quotes that all originate from one of the very known and very much celebrated musical bands of all time: The Avett Brothers.
Every quote is deeply inspired and leaves your mind reeling with not only the beauty in those mere words, but also the incredible wisdom and truth behind them. The first book, Slammed, debuts with one of their quotes which has become a favourite of mine:
“I'm as nowhere as I can be,
Could you add some somewhere to me?” -The Avett Brothers, Salina

The three books follow Will and Layken as they go through a tumultuous relationship and have to overcome several obstacles before they can finally have their much deserved and (anticipated by us) Happily-Ever-After. If you are looking for a love story, these books will definitely not disappoint.
What actually sets them apart from other novels about love is the fact that they aren’t just centred on love. Colleen Hoover’s books manage to concentrate on love with such a breath-taking intensity; without making her stories sappy and cliché. Love is of course one of the major themes behind her novel, but other factors such as friendship, hardships, life, pain, betrayal, depression and much more, come into the picture.
Another major reason why I was UNABLE to drop this book is the poetry factor. Her series are after all called ‘Slammed’ because of Poetry Slams. While reading her books, I fell in love with poetry even more (if that is even possible).Poetry Slams were a permanently recurrent part of her books; leaving us enticed and quite charmed by the novelty and powerful underlying messages behind them. I cannot even start to explain how deeply moving her novels were. I was tremendously impressed with the way she made each of her characters appeal to us. She manages to create totally different characters (who are all figments of her imagination) and yet, she gives them not only a life of their own, but also a life to each individual poem (that she makes them own); which reflect the pain, woes, sorrows and scars that make them who they are. This resulting into a final effect that is just simply mind-blowing. (if I should say so myself).
What creates a strong bond between Will and Layken are the traumatic tragedies they were both forced to endure. They both harrowingly lose their parents before even being adults and suddenly find themselves confronted to lfe’s cruel reality. They each become guardians of their little brothers ; (Kel who is Layken’s younger brother and Caulden who is Will’s). The plot that Colleen Hoover creates between both Will and Layken will leave you holding your breath and closing your eyes in pleasure. Right from the beginning, Colleen Hoover manages to grasp our attention – which never wavers but seems to become even more wrapt as the plot slowly unravels. She manages to evoke pleasure, pain, anger, frustration, need, want, despair, desperation, elation, sadness and so much more; just by writing!
You cannot possibly imagine just how enthralling and deeply satisfying those books were. The minute I started reading, it was impossible for me to let go. My reality melted away and unbeknownst to me, I was suddenly in their world; crying when they cried, laughing when they laughed, and just sitting back and enjoying the ride. I have no words to describe how extraordinarily phenomenal her books truly are.
The fact that there are many characters also made the book even more...alive! It was practically pulsing with a laugh of its own; filling me with this silly wish to be a part of the action- even if just for a while!
I thoroughly urge every single one of you to read these books because you will not be disappointed! Well, that is only if you are looking for this type of book. The type of book that is deliciously centred on romance and leaves you aching with the need to experience something so amazing as what you can so vividly feel. Like, seriously. The romance and love between Will and Layken is so palpable and intense that there were moments when I literally felt chills of pleasure and exhilaration race through me; goose bumps adorning my skin. Because yes, Colleen Hoover can create WONDERS with just her use of words! This is the type of book that makes you repeatedly laugh over and over again because of how hilarious some situations are. It is a book that makes you cry because of the heart-breaking pain and awful reality that hits fictional characters that we surprisingly come to love; because it seems so unfair that bad things should happen to good people who don’t deserve it. It is a book that paints reality in such a dreamy way. Will and layken’s reality ends up being an oxymoron in itself: so true and yet almost fantasist if you wish.
Once again, I have preferred to not dwell too much on the plots of the books themselves because I want them to hold as much power, enjoyment, pleasure and mystery, for you as they held for me. Needless to say, these books have left their mark on me for a long time (not to say forever). The first two books are told from Layken’s point of view which is all the more enriching. ‘This Girl’, which is the last book in the Slammed series, is however told from Will’s point of view; which I found quite refreshing. I have to warn you though, it is mostly a ‘recaps’ of the two first books; only that this time, we get to know what Will was thinking the whole time! Also, the blissful way in which they finally spent their honeymoon is recounted in the third book. (It was very delicious to read by the way; without really being R-rated in any way) – and the epilogue will leave a completely goofy smile on your face.
I hope you do enjoy those books as much as I did! Happy reading to you!

These books will blow your mind away.

I'm always eager to share the books that i truly enjoy with others. Because there's nothing better than a good read to lighten the day!