Such a Pretty Girl | Teen Ink

Such a Pretty Girl

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York

Have you ever had to live with someone that has once molested you? The main character of Such a Pretty Girl, Meredith, knows this situation all too well. With her pedophile father coming home, her mother being oblivious to every sin her husband makes and with Meredith's boyfriend leaving her alone to face these trials by herself, Meredith has one heck of a journey ahead of her.
The main character is Meredith Shale. Her body type is on the smaller side. Her eyes are brown. Her hair is shoulder length and usually placed so that it covers her eyes. Her personality is kind and spunky. She will do anything to rebel against her father and mother. Here is a quote of Meredith's response after being told to greet her father, “It's the bitchy “now” that punctures my paralysis. Now he's here. Now she's happy. Now I'm supposed to act like nothing everhappened. Anger saves me. I plant my palms on the curb and push myself up (Wiss 7)”
In this book, Meredith fights two conflicts. The first conflict is between Meredith and her father's sexual abuse. The second conflict is an inward battle. Meredith has to make the choice to either save herself - running away from her father – or saving the next victim - staying with her father until she can prove that her father is still dangerous because if he doesn't sexually abuse her he will sexually abuse someone else.
Yes, I recommend this book. The plot is marvelous! It grabs you from the very first page. Also, the author did a superior job in describing the scenes and emotion.