Go Ask Alice by Anonymous This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“This will be a good trip. Come on, relax, enjoy it.” This is how it started. Alice, once a shy, innocent girl, is sucked into the heartless world of drugs because of her need to be accepted. She did not plan for this to happen; she didn’t even know it was happening, but the people who drugged her drink unknowingly began the whirlpool that would soon trap Alice. The first culprit? A soda, laced with LSD.

Alice is a 15-year-old with long straight hair and a passion for the beauty of life. After that fateful day, however, her mood – whether wild, funny, happy, loving, depressed, or lonely – depends on drugs. Though drugs, or lack thereof, change Alice’s way of thinking, all she really wants is to be happy and loved; isn’t that what we all want?

After Alice is secretly drugged at a party, she awakens to the exciting adventure that life seems to have become. She starts experimenting with other hard drugs and begins to lose her sanity and grip on reality. Even after deciding to quit the drug scene, it seems as if the curse (which started as a game) will always be present in her life and ultimately cause her death.

I would recommend this book to teens and adults. I think it should be required reading in high schools. Since this is about a teen struggling with addiction and the social pressures of the drug world, it is a real eye-opener to anyone who is already struggling and for those who may be confronted with the option to use.

This book is extremely intense and opens the reader’s mind to the devastating effects of drugs. The main character describes her “trips” in such vivid and realistic detail that her story comes alive.

OnTheSurface said...
Mar. 27, 2010 at 4:56 pm:
i read this book earlier this year....i fell in love with it. its based on a true story.

OnTheSurface replied...
Mar. 27, 2010 at 4:57 pm :
and her name is never accualy mentioned....but she says she feels Llike Alice, from Alice in Wonderland .

SickImage replied...
Nov. 2, 2010 at 8:52 pm :

Definatly not a true story.

Sorry :(

DearFalcon12 replied...
Nov. 17, 2010 at 12:04 pm :

Actually, it says right on the back of the book: based on a true story.

so...there. It IS a true story.

SickImage replied...
Nov. 17, 2010 at 6:19 pm :
If you don't believe me, look it up for yourself.

Peace420 said...
Mar. 15, 2010 at 1:19 pm:
This was a good read, although the "diary" is not real.

BriBear replied...
Sept. 15, 2010 at 6:41 pm :
hmmmm.... i thought it was??

Wallflower This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 11, 2010 at 4:06 pm:
The one thing I really didn't like about this book was that I didn't get at all emotionally attached to the character because her problems were silly and I felt no emotional connection to her and her death caused me no sorrow.

Mollie K. replied...
May 9, 2010 at 9:03 pm :
I’m confused what was silly about her problems?

Wallflower This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
May 10, 2010 at 12:36 am :
They aren't memorable enough for me to recall.

i_am_nobody said...
Mar. 5, 2010 at 10:00 pm:
i recently read this book and was immediatly cought up in it. but u did get some of the details wrong

Kimmikko3 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 11, 2010 at 6:15 pm:
I think the book was really good at first then it started to get boring because it was repeating her being clean and happy to her getting back into drugs and being depressed

Myshella said...
Feb. 11, 2010 at 4:31 pm:
They made me read this at school It didnt really stand out in any way to me, it wasnt great and it was creepy.

SarahRox said...
Feb. 11, 2010 at 3:15 pm:
I read that book...it was creepy...(shiver)...but i'm glad I read it.
P.S. It never says her name, so we don't know if Alice is her name.

earthy_kat said...
I read "Go Ask Alice" a very long time ago, and I think I need to read it again. Anyone who enjoyed "Go Ask Alice" should also read a book called "Crank" by Ellen Hopkins.

KateMasen replied...
Mar. 5, 2010 at 9:34 am :
Another good book is "Cut" by Patricia McCormic, and all Ella Hopkins books are awesome. Rx is a great one dealing with drug abuse, though I forget the author.

Alexandria6 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Mar. 27, 2010 at 11:01 am :
Another good book that is somewhat similar to this is Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson. I've read Speak, Cut, and Go Ask Alice, and I think my favorite is Speak, though Go Ask Alice is a close second.

earthy_kat replied...
Mar. 29, 2010 at 11:46 pm :

@ KateMasen: I've read "Cut", actually.I really enjoyed it. (:

@ Alexandria6: I read Speak a long time ago,too.It's another pne that I need to re-read.

hiddenpoet replied...
Jun. 11, 2010 at 8:35 pm :
Crank was really intense

sicklystrange said...
Of course it doesn't say her name in the book! It is supposed to be a journal/diary.