Go Ask Alice by Anonymous | Teen Ink

Go Ask Alice by Anonymous MAG

“This will be a good trip. Come on, relax, enjoy it.” This is how it started. Alice, once a shy, innocent girl, is sucked into the heartless world of drugs because of her need to be accepted. She did not plan for this to happen; she didn’t even know it was happening, but the people who drugged her drink unknowingly began the whirlpool that would soon trap Alice. The first culprit? A soda, laced with LSD.

Alice is a 15-year-old with long straight hair and a passion for the beauty of life. After that fateful day, however, her mood – whether wild, funny, happy, loving, depressed, or lonely – depends on drugs. Though drugs, or lack thereof, change Alice’s way of thinking, all she really wants is to be happy and loved; isn’t that what we all want?

After Alice is secretly drugged at a party, she awakens to the exciting adventure that life seems to have become. She starts experimenting with other hard drugs and begins to lose her sanity and grip on reality. Even after deciding to quit the drug scene, it seems as if the curse (which started as a game) will always be present in her life and ultimately cause her death.

I would recommend this book to teens and adults. I think it should be required reading in high schools. Since this is about a teen struggling with addiction and the social pressures of the drug world, it is a real eye-opener to anyone who is already struggling and for those who may be confronted with the option to use.

This book is extremely intense and opens the reader’s mind to the devastating effects of drugs. The main character describes her “trips” in such vivid and realistic detail that her story comes alive.

BriBear BRONZE said...
BriBear BRONZE, LaFayette, Georgia

If i was perfect they'd have to redifine the words

hmmmm.... i thought it was??

BriBear BRONZE said...
BriBear BRONZE, LaFayette, Georgia

oh man u rly should. its a eye opener

BriBear BRONZE said...
BriBear BRONZE, LaFayette, Georgia

this is a wonderful review... it was wierd how i stumbled across this book. it was the before 6th grade and i was at my moms friends house and her daughter gave me this book to read..... i went home and finished it in one day.. thats how interesting it was. and trust me i dont read uninstereting book... :) :( i was extra sad during this book. it made me cry a lil and i rly did feel like i knew her. if u liked this book u should read all of the diarys 

broken_red_wagon BRONZE, Bothell, Washington

"I would rather be hated for who I am, than be loved for who I'm not." Kurt Cobain

Go Ask Alice really should be a book you should be required to read in high school, if not junior high, to show people how drugs really are detrimental to your life.

on Sep. 2 2010 at 1:25 am
dustybrowneyes BRONZE, East Bethel, Minnesota

I\\\'d like to run away
From you,
But if you didn\\\'t come
And find me ...
I would die.
~ by Shirley Bassey ~

i know i rented it last year and my mom just bought it 4 me, im reading it 4 the 1,000 time (9th time acturaly)

on Aug. 28 2010 at 11:07 am
menike_neko BRONZE, Howell, Michigan

"Don't take life too seriously, no one gets out alive any way."

I loved this book and hated it. I wanted to keep reading but it suddenly felt like I knew her and I could'nt keep reading how her life ended.  I know people like this and how its not just any book this is real.

LostInStereo PLATINUM, Phoenixville, Pennsylvania

Friends are the family you choose.

I read Go Ask Alice a couple of months ago and was hooked once I started reading I loved it. It's a great read and in a way informing you sortof the dangers and consequences of drugs. I think it's amazing, and one of my favorite books!

JessieB SILVER said...
on Jun. 30 2010 at 10:21 am
JessieB SILVER, Elkton, Maryland

an eye for an eye, and the whole world goes blind~Ghandi

i really want to read this. multiple people have suggested it to me.

TheUnknownGuest GOLD, Woodbridge, Virginia

I can't remember it clearly, but it went something like this:

"The past is the past, the future is the furture. But now, now is like a gift, which is why it is called present."

You should!! They are really amazing!

hiddenpoet SILVER, East Meredith, New York

Just live like you live it already.

I read Crank, Glass, and Tricks. They were powerful, but amazing. I want to read the other three still: Burned, Impulse, and Identical

Just live like you live it already.

I've heard several different theories about this book. My mom said it was a real diary and it's by Anonymous because they didn't want to hurt the identity of the family. My English teacher said there was a lot of contraversy as to whether a teen actually wrote this diary, or if this teen made it up to get rich. Know one knows for sure I suppose.

Just live like you live it already.

Crank was really intense

mindymax GOLD said...
mindymax GOLD, Armona, California

"The whole world looked drunk, and I liked it that way." - Rebeca Godfrey, book title"The Torn skirt"

i really did like the book, it told you the truth about drugs head-on , and the character didnt sound like a hypocrite she talked about its extreme experience of free will and 'fun' i cant lie and say i wasnt tempted, did anyone else got a weird 70's or late 70's feel to this book? like how she called the cops

'the fuzz' love that

any-hoosers, great job;D

Forever13 BRONZE, Topeka, Kansas

i have to many to name.

I didn't really connect because I have never done drugs. I caan't relate to the feelings she was having. Like the confusion on who she was.

booksareemysanctuary BRONZE, Yonkers, New York

"Reading is like my own portal into another world."

My class is actually reading this book. i finished it already and i loved the book. it was sad though. great review!

on May. 10 2010 at 10:42 am
wickedswangoose BRONZE, Fort Worth, Texas

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. -Jimi Hendrix

Go Ask Alice is a fantastic book. It's dark and twisted and just the kind of book I love to read. You can almost feel everything that she goes through while you read.

on May. 10 2010 at 12:36 am
Wallflower PLATINUM, Portland, Oregon

If you aren't happy alone then you're not going to be happy with anyone else.

They aren't memorable enough for me to recall.

Mollie Kohring BRONZE, Lopez Island, Washington
I’m confused what was silly about her problems?

on Apr. 24 2010 at 11:48 am
MaliyahP. SILVER, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

There are pirate ships and steam ships but the best ship of all is friendship.

I never read the book, and my mother thinks that it might be a dangerous book to read. But your final point of why we people should read this book, maybe I'll just have to read it.

Green8a8 SILVER, NY, New York

im the author of my life, unfortunately im writing in pen therefore i can't erase nothing about it.-by some crazy friend of mine

i read this book years ago and i agree with you i think that this helped get through middle school and is helping me get through hs, because o know what to expect