Go Ask Alice by Anonymous | Teen Ink

Go Ask Alice by Anonymous MAG

“This will be a good trip. Come on, relax, enjoy it.” This is how it started. Alice, once a shy, innocent girl, is sucked into the heartless world of drugs because of her need to be accepted. She did not plan for this to happen; she didn’t even know it was happening, but the people who drugged her drink unknowingly began the whirlpool that would soon trap Alice. The first culprit? A soda, laced with LSD.

Alice is a 15-year-old with long straight hair and a passion for the beauty of life. After that fateful day, however, her mood – whether wild, funny, happy, loving, depressed, or lonely – depends on drugs. Though drugs, or lack thereof, change Alice’s way of thinking, all she really wants is to be happy and loved; isn’t that what we all want?

After Alice is secretly drugged at a party, she awakens to the exciting adventure that life seems to have become. She starts experimenting with other hard drugs and begins to lose her sanity and grip on reality. Even after deciding to quit the drug scene, it seems as if the curse (which started as a game) will always be present in her life and ultimately cause her death.

I would recommend this book to teens and adults. I think it should be required reading in high schools. Since this is about a teen struggling with addiction and the social pressures of the drug world, it is a real eye-opener to anyone who is already struggling and for those who may be confronted with the option to use.

This book is extremely intense and opens the reader’s mind to the devastating effects of drugs. The main character describes her “trips” in such vivid and realistic detail that her story comes alive.

on Jan. 29 2011 at 8:46 am
Niya_Smilees GOLD, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

"Live in the moment because reality hurts."

IT was really good . Besides the fact that the girls name is not Alice , that's what people think, her name was never said. You hit the book right on the head :)

on Jan. 29 2011 at 12:48 am
TabbiJane PLATINUM, Rockwood, Michigan

"It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live."

--Albus Dumbledore

My dad made me read this book when i was 10, saying "this is what drugs do to you" And it scared the living daylights out of me. It really is scary to think that an innocent girl such as Alice could be sucked into the world of drugs so quickly. I can tell you that i have never tuched any substances and i never will, even though it's been offered to me. It's because of this book that people stay off drugs, it's such a real account of teenagers life. And it's in her own words! That's what's so scary about it. These are her personal thoughts. And in response to eileentotheleft's comment, this books does make you see the real effects of drugs. Those people in your class were either willfully ignorant, or just plain stupid. Anyway, great review. You really described the book beautifully. Lovely job.

writerssoul said...
writerssoul, One, Delaware
I read this book, you described it perfectly. Bravo for you:)

Rainbeauxs SILVER, Bridgetown, Other
wow this sounds AMAZING

. said...
on Dec. 16 2010 at 10:01 am
i read this book i felt awful for alice

MangaLover BRONZE, Unalska, Alaska

u know ur in luv when u cant fall asleep cuz reality is finaly better than ur dreams...

Did any of you know that Go Ask Alice is a fiction book?? its only based on a real diary but all the writing is compleatly fiction.

eileentotheleft BRONZE, Los Alamos, New Mexico

"Perfectly perfect is fine (or so the story goes), but nature left all on her own will make the perfect rose." -Persnickity

I love this review, but I disagree. This was an amazing book, but when I read it with my english class, 2 students soon became drug addicts. If you do not have strong will and low curiosity for this sort of thing, it will make you want to try drugs.

thewriteidea DIAMOND, Pleasanton, California

"Don't cry that it's over, smile because it has happened."

I read this book too, and I got the impression that it was a true story.

Meli14 BRONZE said...
on Nov. 24 2010 at 1:45 am
Meli14 BRONZE, Othello, Washington

"god is love, and love is real"

Wait you wrote a book? great job!

Also 

I Am Free Read please!Rate thanks(:

aphilly DIAMOND, St. Paul Park, Minnesota

"Have you ever once in your life reached out to touch infinity?" -Ellen Hopkins

I loved this book and it's so real because us, teens, are pressured to enter the drug scene

SickImage SILVER, Klamath Falls, Oregon

The room was very quiet. I walked over to the TV set and turned it onto a dead channel-white noise at maximum decibels, a fine sound for sleeping, a powerful continuous hiss to drown out everything strange."

If you don't believe me, look it up for yourself.

sydneeharris16 DIAMOND, Auburn, Maine

we the willing, lead by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. we have done so much for so long with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Actually, it says right on the back of the book: based on a true story.

so...there. It IS a true story.

SickImage SILVER, Klamath Falls, Oregon

Definatly not a true story.

Sorry :(

SickImage SILVER, Klamath Falls, Oregon

Hooray for Jefferson Airplane!

White Rabbit is such an amazing song. :)

SickImage SILVER, Klamath Falls, Oregon

Even though it's not real that is a very good point!

I'm glad you said that.

Elyx3 said...
This book is okay. It's not as great as people make it out to be. I respect your opinion, but i felt as if everything she was saying was a lie. The way she wrote it especially had me uninterested. Hippies didn't say golly gosh back than, and I know people who were left wanting to try LSD afterwards because they felt it lacked a lot of information and the trips seemed cool. Especially after reading "Nancy's Baby" who is by the same editor and is written in the same exact format as Go Ask Alice, I can not help but NOT want to read any books by the editor. I feel if you want a good discription of what life and LSD is like, go to a rave, or go find forums through google. Thank you. I hope this doesn't come off as crabby but i have  strong feelings on this book.  

Bella5506 said...
on Nov. 2 2010 at 9:43 am
i love you wrote this. I read this book and I loved it! It definitly changed my outlook on drugs and the life of a drug addict. It also helped realize that even teenagers back then have the same insecurities as we do today.  Really great review!! keep writing!

Wolfen said...
Wolfen, Prineville, Oregon
This story was inspiered by a song called "White Rabbit" with the same words as the title "Go Ask Alice".

Photo_97 said...
Photo_97, Ct., Connecticut
i love how you wrote this. i read this book a while back and it really changed my view on life. i think you are right to tell people to read it and to write about it beacuse your going to help alot of people that want to feel loved and respected. keep it up.

1234 said...
We don't know the main character's name, because it was never mentioned.  She also does not have straight hair, she straightens it