Go Ask Alice by Anonymous This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“This will be a good trip. Come on, relax, enjoy it.” This is how it started. Alice, once a shy, innocent girl, is sucked into the heartless world of drugs because of her need to be accepted. She did not plan for this to happen; she didn’t even know it was happening, but the people who drugged her drink unknowingly began the whirlpool that would soon trap Alice. The first culprit? A soda, laced with LSD.

Alice is a 15-year-old with long straight hair and a passion for the beauty of life. After that fateful day, however, her mood – whether wild, funny, happy, loving, depressed, or lonely – depends on drugs. Though drugs, or lack thereof, change Alice’s way of thinking, all she really wants is to be happy and loved; isn’t that what we all want?

After Alice is secretly drugged at a party, she awakens to the exciting adventure that life seems to have become. She starts experimenting with other hard drugs and begins to lose her sanity and grip on reality. Even after deciding to quit the drug scene, it seems as if the curse (which started as a game) will always be present in her life and ultimately cause her death.

I would recommend this book to teens and adults. I think it should be required reading in high schools. Since this is about a teen struggling with addiction and the social pressures of the drug world, it is a real eye-opener to anyone who is already struggling and for those who may be confronted with the option to use.

This book is extremely intense and opens the reader’s mind to the devastating effects of drugs. The main character describes her “trips” in such vivid and realistic detail that her story comes alive.

Trina16 said...
Jul. 24, 2011 at 10:39 pm:
I want to read this book but I am 11? would it be to advanced for me?

Sirie replied...
Jul. 28, 2011 at 12:15 am :

I would generally say yes, but it honestly depends on your emotional ability to deal with graphic issues such as drug-abuse, sex and real-world violence. These days, most 11 year olds are well aware of this kind of thing, but an air to conservatism is appropriate for some.

To frankly answer you question, if you can watch R-rated movies and not feel uncomfortable, then this book should be fine for you. However, you might lose interest, depending on your maturity.

PerfectChemistry replied...
Jul. 10, 2012 at 7:43 pm :
I read this book (and inadvertably failed math class because of it) and I loved it. Beauty is in the truth of the context of the words.

Amanda24This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 24, 2011 at 12:34 am:
Im very excited to read this book! Alot of people should read it to get a true persepective of addication and parents should give this to their kids.

HollyBell said...
Jul. 17, 2011 at 6:29 pm:
Wow, this sounds like a great read. The way people are describing it is like the book itself is 'addictive'. I would be able to relate to this a lot as a lot of people I care about like to experiment with drugs and I have done myself (nothing really hardcore, marajuana and ecstacy) I know myself I'm not interested in drugs at all after trying them and have only tried these things because my whole group of friends do often and it was more of a social thing. My sister however I believe sometimes&n... (more »)

DumbBlone22 said...
Jul. 6, 2011 at 10:41 am:
what are some things that you learned from this book

SARA replied...
Sept. 28, 2011 at 3:56 am :
Its show the sad, horrible consequences of effect that drugs have on a persons life. This books setting is actually back in the 60s, hippie days, its a true story, and inserts from her diary! Its really riveting and a must read for any age! 

jazzy13 said...
Jun. 10, 2011 at 5:35 pm:
i picked this book up at the store, i didnt know what it was about so i didnt get it. but now that i read the article it sounds rlly good!

VivaSarcasm said...
May 26, 2011 at 4:32 pm:
I saw a girl reading this in my class, and she said it was really good, although I had no idea what it was about. I came across this review and decided to read it and now it's on my reading list. It sounds very good. Good job on the review, by the way, it was great!

Openbook.A said...
May 19, 2011 at 1:15 pm:
really, really good book. incredibly strong and full of feeling. I had to read it in the day time because otherwise I was sure to have nightmares. The worst part was how real it sounded and how real it is everywhere. So powerful, moving, sad, heartbreaking... holy wowza

JelloAngel92 said...
May 5, 2011 at 4:17 pm:
this definately makes me wanna go read this....

LoveKills said...
Very well writen and is good support. The book is anmazing and you did it juctice.

JessicaR said...
Apr. 27, 2011 at 8:24 am:
Ive always wanted to read this book and I just got to read it about a week ago and it is so good. It really opened my eyes to the real world.

gleek26358 said...
I really like this book! I cried when I read it. This book is a major eye opener.

JessicaR replied...
Apr. 27, 2011 at 8:26 am :
Ikr i cryed so much when i read it. i love the book.

far.from.you. said...
i am IN LOVE withh this book<3333333333333333333333333333333333333

remembermeplzThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I myself have read this book and I love it.And yr reveiw of it is amazing =)

lkk4209 said...
Mar. 14, 2011 at 4:39 pm:
Very good review! But just one thing: Alice isn't the main character's name. The main character's name is never stated in the book.

LiveInTheMoment said...
Mar. 14, 2011 at 4:37 pm:
This book review was very well written. I will definitely read this book because of you. I like your writing style, and encourage you to continue writing!

sallysunshine said...
Mar. 14, 2011 at 11:10 am:
This book seems very odd to me.But i feel bad for her