Go Ask Alice by Anonymous This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“This will be a good trip. Come on, relax, enjoy it.” This is how it started. Alice, once a shy, innocent girl, is sucked into the heartless world of drugs because of her need to be accepted. She did not plan for this to happen; she didn’t even know it was happening, but the people who drugged her drink unknowingly began the whirlpool that would soon trap Alice. The first culprit? A soda, laced with LSD.

Alice is a 15-year-old with long straight hair and a passion for the beauty of life. After that fateful day, however, her mood – whether wild, funny, happy, loving, depressed, or lonely – depends on drugs. Though drugs, or lack thereof, change Alice’s way of thinking, all she really wants is to be happy and loved; isn’t that what we all want?

After Alice is secretly drugged at a party, she awakens to the exciting adventure that life seems to have become. She starts experimenting with other hard drugs and begins to lose her sanity and grip on reality. Even after deciding to quit the drug scene, it seems as if the curse (which started as a game) will always be present in her life and ultimately cause her death.

I would recommend this book to teens and adults. I think it should be required reading in high schools. Since this is about a teen struggling with addiction and the social pressures of the drug world, it is a real eye-opener to anyone who is already struggling and for those who may be confronted with the option to use.

This book is extremely intense and opens the reader’s mind to the devastating effects of drugs. The main character describes her “trips” in such vivid and realistic detail that her story comes alive.

Shmelmo said...
Feb. 18, 2012 at 7:48 pm:
A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. book... it was really an eye-opener for me. The author of the journal describes everything in such a clear way... I would definitely recommend this.

Lillie M. said...
Feb. 7, 2012 at 1:59 am:
This was a great article reviewing a great book! But it's true, you never find out what the girl's name is, since she's the one writing the book. The title is a reference to Alice In Wonderland.

wordlover27This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
It sounds like a really interesting book...I've heard about it before but I've never read it

minimuffins said...
in the story, the girl's name isnt alice, dont let the title fool you. you don't know the name of her, and thats what's best about this book. the title comes from a Jefferson Airplane song, "Go Ask Alice" and also reverts back to the childhood tale of "Alice in Wonderland", which, surprisingly, is all about drugs told in a way children would like. anyway, you dont know the names of anyone in the book.

beautifulspiritThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I liked your article---this book would have been great to read in school alongside A Separate Peace and Catcher in the Rye. I would say that this book set the tone---the expose if you will on how that need and desire to feel accepted by one's peers affects teenagers and adolescents. It's a confusing time and I believe this book will leave an unforgettable impression in someone's life.

Mjjames2016 said...
Dec. 21, 2011 at 9:34 am:
My dad gave me this book when i was 11 years old, (My mom waas...you can get the picture) I loved reading your interpration of the book and the article was as gripping as the book.

greenwolf said...
Personally I found this book to be too scare-tactic and not that gripping. I'm not sure if it's based on actual diaries as it claims. However, your review of it was good, if a little short and it made it seem a lot better then I personally thought it was.

carter123 replied...
Nov. 27, 2011 at 5:30 pm :
Please keep your comments positive and constructive. We'll remove anything inappropriate. Thanks!

gelle replied...
Dec. 5, 2011 at 11:39 am :
I met the author of this book a few years ago.  It was actually done by the mother.  I am not sure if she wanted to be more anonymous or  if she felt it would be accepted more at that time by a father figure. Anyway, I got to visit with her.  She still, after those many years, could feel the pain of losing her daughter in such an awful way.  It was her desire that no other mother have to go through what she went through or any child go through what her daughter did. ... (more »)

Duckie430This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Dec. 27, 2011 at 10:53 am :
I don't think it matters whether or not the book is real; it could be a true story & young people can still learn from it. It's a great book, & good review on it as well.

esthert said...
Nov. 11, 2011 at 9:03 am:
i don't think her name was alice...? the book is just called that. the main character is anonymous

Mari replied...
Nov. 11, 2011 at 11:09 am :
The book was named after the Jefferson Airplane song, "White Rabbit." Even though the real author is Anonymous, the editor is listed as the owner for copy right's sake (her name is Beatrice Sparks).

PaolaCrayola said...
Nov. 11, 2011 at 8:17 am:
yes the girl is real but her father didnt publish it... If you do your research it states that we dont really know who wrote it (although there is an idea of the author) that's why it's anonymous...

ArianaFe This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 11, 2011 at 12:23 am:
Nice review, useful too.wanna read the book...

Tristen D. said...

im 14 and my mom made me read this and it dermasticly changed my out look on life

raindance72 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Nov. 11, 2011 at 6:38 pm :

dermasticly?

I hope that was supposed to be funny.

SONIAH said...
this book is awesome !!!!!  I read it when i was like 17 and i'm now 44 and i can still tell you all about it !!!

Daniitee2 said...
I read this book and it opened my eyes to what drugs do to people. I would not want my life in that postion and my life to be ruined in such a way

hannahbanana101 said...
I REALLY want to read this book. It sounds amazing! I love stories about things people struggle with. Butterflies and sunshine isn't real life. It just isn't. I might go and buy this after school. Thanks for the amazing review and heads up about this book! :)

poetry.is.beast said...
Oct. 17, 2011 at 8:38 am:
Well dang. I really want to read thiiis!! I may recomend (excuse my spelling) Thirteen Reasons Why, the author of which I don't know...but apparently it's quite good and deals with suicide, the next worse teen issue after drugs.