Go Ask Alice by Anonymous | Teen Ink

Go Ask Alice by Anonymous MAG

“This will be a good trip. Come on, relax, enjoy it.” This is how it started. Alice, once a shy, innocent girl, is sucked into the heartless world of drugs because of her need to be accepted. She did not plan for this to happen; she didn’t even know it was happening, but the people who drugged her drink unknowingly began the whirlpool that would soon trap Alice. The first culprit? A soda, laced with LSD.

Alice is a 15-year-old with long straight hair and a passion for the beauty of life. After that fateful day, however, her mood – whether wild, funny, happy, loving, depressed, or lonely – depends on drugs. Though drugs, or lack thereof, change Alice’s way of thinking, all she really wants is to be happy and loved; isn’t that what we all want?

After Alice is secretly drugged at a party, she awakens to the exciting adventure that life seems to have become. She starts experimenting with other hard drugs and begins to lose her sanity and grip on reality. Even after deciding to quit the drug scene, it seems as if the curse (which started as a game) will always be present in her life and ultimately cause her death.

I would recommend this book to teens and adults. I think it should be required reading in high schools. Since this is about a teen struggling with addiction and the social pressures of the drug world, it is a real eye-opener to anyone who is already struggling and for those who may be confronted with the option to use.

This book is extremely intense and opens the reader’s mind to the devastating effects of drugs. The main character describes her “trips” in such vivid and realistic detail that her story comes alive.

soldout said...
on Sep. 29 2011 at 6:59 pm
same here. it sounds unique and a worthwile read

S. said...
on Sep. 28 2011 at 8:26 pm
I haven't read the book....but i have been seriously planning on it. i like the idea that the author is "anonymous." there just aren't many of those around, and that is really awesome. I also like the drug thing...totally true, whether the teachers at my school think so or not.

on Sep. 28 2011 at 8:17 pm
LizzzardGirl GOLD, Naperville, Illinois

Don’t go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
– Mark Twain

i have read this book i read it when i was in, oh, porbably sixth grade. it was a really good. book. the 'sequel' is Jay's Journal which is also every good.

on Sep. 28 2011 at 6:37 pm
liveincolor GOLD, Gainesville, Florida

You need to be the change you wish to see in the world. ~Ghandi

This book is a must read for anyone who thinks that drugs are something it's ok to mess with. It shows how bad decisions lead to worse consequences, and how we only get once chance in life to get things right. This book is an eye opener in a terrifying way, in the 21st century most teens really need their eyes opened. It's better to be unacccepted but free then die a horrible death for a few good times.

LetItBe GOLD said...
on Sep. 28 2011 at 7:03 am
LetItBe GOLD, Grand Rapids, Michigan

Fall seven times, stand up eight

This book was eye opening, i read in 7nth grade. Its very intense and has very vivad descriptions

on Sep. 28 2011 at 6:01 am
just-another-url GOLD, Cannes, Other

"It's a good thing to be strange. Normalness leads to sadness." -Philip Lester

This book touched me in a way that can't be described - A must read for everyone ! - 

SARA said...
on Sep. 28 2011 at 3:56 am
Its show the sad, horrible consequences of effect that drugs have on a persons life. This books setting is actually back in the 60s, hippie days, its a true story, and inserts from her diary! Its really riveting and a must read for any age! 

SARABEAR said...
on Sep. 28 2011 at 3:51 am
One of my favorite books! :) 

on Sep. 6 2011 at 8:36 pm
TheCylceGoesRound PLATINUM, Raleigh, North Carolina

When the rich wage war it's the poor who die.

When I was in 8th grade, my teacher wanted me to read this for a book report.

on Sep. 6 2011 at 8:33 pm

I love this book. It was a page turner and kept me sucked in at all times. It really freaked me out, too. That's what I really like about it, because the kind of thing that happened to the girl happens to many other people and it's such an eye-opener. 

jmdsl BRONZE said...
on Sep. 6 2011 at 1:41 pm
jmdsl BRONZE, Vigo, Other
1 article 1 photo 9 comments

theres no second time without third time

my mum gave it to me before yesterday and because it was one of the only books she read when she was young 

on Aug. 22 2011 at 4:33 pm
looseyourself14, Franklinton, North Carolina
This book is great! But, I would like to share with you that the main character's name is not Alice. She is unnamed. The title, Go Ask Alice is from the song "White Rabbit."

on Jul. 31 2011 at 12:52 pm
futurerousseau BRONZE, Vienna, Virginia

Not all those who wander are lost - Tolkien

I'm sorry, but not all drugs are detrimental. Do you remember how free & alive the girl in the book felt? It was the fact that certain drugs are addictive that makes drugs detrimental to a person's life. Do you remember the scene, late in the book, when some people give her Marijuana and she says it must be home grown because it was weak and didn't do anything for her? Not all drugs are bad. I saw a documentary about medical marijuana and how it improved a man's life - I don't remember the condition he had, but it really did help him calm down (his illness caused him to have spasms, which the medical marijuana stopped). Just saying, pick your words more carefully. As writers we should be as specific as possible.  

Sirie said...
on Jul. 28 2011 at 12:15 am
Sirie, Lineville, Alabama

"The greatest oak was once a little nut who stood its ground." ~ Buddhist Proverb

I would generally say yes, but it honestly depends on your emotional ability to deal with graphic issues such as drug-abuse, sex and real-world violence. These days, most 11 year olds are well aware of this kind of thing, but an air to conservatism is appropriate for some.

To frankly answer you question, if you can watch R-rated movies and not feel uncomfortable, then this book should be fine for you. However, you might lose interest, depending on your maturity.

Trina16 said...
on Jul. 24 2011 at 10:39 pm
I want to read this book but I am 11? would it be to advanced for me?

on Jul. 24 2011 at 12:34 am
Amanda24 DIAMOND, Lynnfield, Massachusetts

" Move on. It's just a chapter in the past. But dont close the book, just turn the page.

Im very excited to read this book! Alot of people should read it to get a true persepective of addication and parents should give this to their kids.

on Jul. 17 2011 at 6:29 pm
HollyBell BRONZE, Orpington, Kent, Other
Wow, this sounds like a great read. The way people are describing it is like the book itself is 'addictive'. I would be able to relate to this a lot as a lot of people I care about like to experiment with drugs and I have done myself (nothing really hardcore, marajuana and ecstacy) I know myself I'm not interested in drugs at all after trying them and have only tried these things because my whole group of friends do often and it was more of a social thing. My sister however I believe sometimes has took experimenting to far and I can be worried for her. My boyfriend too also has less self-control and likes to smoke weed regularly however much I hate it and has tried a few other things. It does worry me and I would hate to see the people I love the most hurt because of this. I don't think drugs can always cause such problems but I know it often can if people become that irresponsible. I have a group of friends who spend so much money on drugs they find it hard to pay their rent that they might be evicted soon and their weekly food budget is 10p packets of noodles. If I can get my hands on this book I'll definately read it.

DumbBlone22 said...
on Jul. 6 2011 at 10:41 am
what are some things that you learned from this book

EmiLund BRONZE said...
on Jun. 30 2011 at 12:30 am
EmiLund BRONZE, Solvang, California

"since the thing perhaps is
to eat flowers and not to be afraid"
— E.E. Cummings (E.E. Cummings: Complete Poems 1904-1962)

i one hundred percent freaking agree. 

jazzy13 said...
on Jun. 10 2011 at 5:35 pm
i picked this book up at the store, i didnt know what it was about so i didnt get it. but now that i read the article it sounds rlly good!