Peak by Roland Smith This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Peak tells the story of a boy becoming a man. It begins in New York where Peak Marcello is caught by the police while climbing a skyscraper. He must live with his father who has flown in for the trial. This doesn’t seem so terrible, but his father is a professional rock/mountain climber and is currently climbing Mt. Everest. Through his struggles with the mountain and his father, he tries to complete his goal, which has never been achieved before – a 14-year-old on Everest.

Peak is born to be a climber: body type, mind set, and determination are all qualities that make the best candidate for summiting Everest.

He is opinionated but doesn’t always speak his mind ­because of his circumstances. He sees things differently from others and doesn’t relate well to others during the climb.

When Peak realizes that one of the people who monitors the climb brought his grandson because he is 14 too and trying to summit the mountain like Peak, he sees this as a challenge while other people see Sunjo, the grandson, as an inferior climber trying to sabotage the trip. Most of the climbers are either extremely rich or celebrities who just want to be able to say they climbed Everest.

Peak has to fight his body, his father, himself, and the mountain using sheer will power to summit. He is manipulated by his father whose climbing business is struggling. His father needs Peak to succeed because then his company will have put the youngest person ever on Everest. This is the spark needed to jump-start his business, but Peak doesn’t like that he is ­being used by his own father.

Peak is an exciting novel and a stimulating story. The author keeps you on edge as Peak tries to summit the mountain. Smith has a way of getting her point across with ­excitement and suspense. If you like books full of action and drama, I implore you to read this one.

Jack123 said...
May 28 at 2:46 pm:
I hate this book . Its sooo boring and really hard to understand

Cheerislife said...
I ADORE this book. My favorite book ever. nothing can beat it and Its just beautiful!.(: <3.

GBCmvps said...
Sept. 21, 2012 at 9:41 am:
i havent read this book.  but from the reveiws i think it sounds cool.  some of the comments are negative, nd some are positve.

S. said...
Very nice, well spoken and thoughout review, might just have to check this book out as it sparks my interest!

breezy101 said...
i read the book and loved it and now am currently writing an essay on it, can anyone help me out and tell me what chapter his mom calls him and talks to him about summiting everest?

Bookworm1997 replied...
Jan. 23, 2012 at 1:16 am :
I read this book and it was really great. I liked the ending a lot.

tatertotstewie said...
I have read this book multiple times, and i must say this review has reopened my eyes as to what a good of a book this is.

madrack said...
Fair enough--this is just my opinion. It was a good reveiw.

madrack said...
I read this book in my class 2 yrs ago, and I hated it.

soldout replied...
Oct. 9, 2011 at 7:53 pm :
It's ok if yu dont like the book, but yu might want to praise/critique the review at least. i think the review makes it sound like a worthy read. i especially appreciate how yu exposed the conflict, but barely touched in on any events occurring. im giving it a five-star rating

riter2 said...
Rolund smith is a guy, not a "her".

Grace4297 said...
Jun. 17, 2011 at 8:42 am:
I loved that book! I've read all of Roland Smith's novels and I would definitely rate Peak as one of my favs. With the I.Q. series of course.

VivaSarcasm said...
May 26, 2011 at 4:29 pm:
I'm actually reading this book now, and it is my favorite by Roland Smith (I've also read the IQ series). I highly recommend it as a light read-it's short and easy to read while full or action/adventure, plus information about mountain climbing in the Himalayas I didn't know about. A+

josephcook6242 replied...
Sept. 16, 2011 at 4:00 pm :
i would have to agree with u that peak is a good novel. i have to a report on it in my english class, i hope this book blows her mind oon how good it is.

satian said...
May 11, 2011 at 9:14 am:
i read this book with my class and it was pretty cool

KKWilli11111 said...
May 5, 2011 at 8:15 pm:
This book was amazing with all the drama and everything, it was a great book and i would totally read it again

alwer299 said...
May 4, 2011 at 5:59 am:
i read that book with my class....i hated it. it was a sucky book, that does not deserve praise.

ElectroMagneticPulse replied...
May 4, 2011 at 9:45 am :
I haven't read the book so I can't really defend it, but i think it should be mentioned that books always seem better when you get to read it on your own time and free will - it's almost never as good if you have to analyze it for class. Or at least that's how it's always been for me. I think I'll take a look at Peak - nice review!

alwer299 replied...
May 4, 2011 at 7:54 pm :
that is totally true. we just read lord of the rings for a reading group (my teacher isn't the most tradional person) and i couldn't stand it because we had to read it really paying attention and in certian amounts of time. BUT peak was jujst truly a terrible book. the plot was really odd and hard to believe and the whole book was just badly written. i wouldn't have liked it even if i read it on my own. and now i remember it was even totally a reading gorup book it was some form of read -... (more »)

T+G= <33 said...
Loved the book ive read it mabye 5 times now and cant put it down