The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro | Teen Ink

The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro

May 30, 2013
By hanabyra BRONZE, Saratoga, California
hanabyra BRONZE, Saratoga, California
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Kazuo Ishiguro does not write, he rhapsodizes, and in The Remains of the Day his words sing. The main character of the prizewinning novel, Stevens, is an English butler of Darlington Hall who, prior to working for an American gentleman, served under the enigmatic Lord Darlington. Stevens embarks on a six day motorcycle trip around the English countryside to find Miss Kenton, a former Darlington Hall maid who he believes wishes to return to work. Unexpectedly, this motorcycle trip provides the quiet necessary to relive his regret-ridden past.

Ishiguro excels at voice, and not once does he break from the voice of a monotone, stoic butler. Stevens shows dedication without emotion. As one initially reads, it is evident that Stevens' job is his singular obsession. He seeks to obtain ultimate "dignity", a word he obsesses over to define and explain, and almost loses composure when the silverware is not polished to perfection. When Stevens tries to understand how to banter with others and his jokes fall hilariously flat. As the story goes on it becomes evident that Stevens' detachment is serious; he is so removed from life that he has sacrificed all human qualities. While his father dies, Stevens chooses to assist a foreign guest despite Miss Kenton's constant updates on his father's condition.

The greatest consequence of all is his inability to feel romance. While supplemented by other minor plotlines, the main plot of the story revolves around his unusual relationship with Miss Kenton. He cannot understand his feelings for her while it is glaringly obvious to the reader that they could have been lovers. The book climaxes when Stevens finds Miss Kenton and they talk for the first time in twenty years. This meeting ends in tragedy, and from it Stevens learns how to move on.

The Remains of the Day does not rely on dragon-slaying heroes or magical worlds. Instead, it tells the story of a butler and what could have been his life, delving into a devastating, moving, complex, and enchanting exploration of regret. The Remains of the Day is, without a doubt, one of the finest masterpieces I have had the pleasure to read.