Twilight by Stephenie Meyer | Teen Ink

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

I didn’t hear about this book until everyone went crazy. By crazy, I mean the day that Breaking Dawn was released. I’m ashamed to say that I never even heard of this series before it’s final installment’s release. I was in the local Barnes and Noble, having just won a gift certificate there, browsing. Twilight was in at least four different sections of the store, so it had to be good right? I picked it up and read the back cover half a dozen times. It said:
“About three things I was absolutely positive. First, Edward was a vampire. Second, there was a part of him-and I didn’t know how dominant that part might be-that thirsted for my blood. And third, I was unconditionally and irrevocably in love with him.”
I put the book back twice, but finally I decided to buy it and its sequel, New Moon. I wanted the other two as well but my mom said to just wait and see how I like the first two. Here’s what I have to say about it:
About three things I am absolutely positive. First, the back cover doesn’t give the book justice. Second, I was an idiot to ever think of not buying this book. And third, I am unconditionally and irrevocably in love with it.
The reviews that I’ve read on this have said: “A girl falls in love with a vampire, the girl herself is helpless and can’t stop going on about how gorgeous Edward is.” This I must tell you is an absolute disgrace to the book. It is also not “a very poorly written novel” as others say. This is a story of true love. It's about fighting along who you love, even when everyone else’s doubt surrounds you. About, trying to protect the one you love, even if it means taking yourself out of the picture. NOT about some helpless girl falling for someone “way out her league.”
Not only does this book contain romance, but it also has suspense. Like, when another vampire who is not “vegetarian” (a vampire who doesn’t drink human blood but rather animal blood like Edward’s family, the Cullens) has his eye on Bella for the exact opposite reasons that Edward does. Will true love overcome Edwards’s instincts? Or is it truly impossible for a vampire and a human to be together? Read Twilight to find out.

This review is for anyone who, like me, is doubtful about reading this series. It is a New York Times best seller for a reason, and you won't regret reading it!

on Jul. 14 2010 at 9:33 am
sunnyhunny PLATINUM, Litchfield, New Hampshire

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
-Ghandi

COMPLETELY agree.  Thank you.  I never knew how to make that point.  From now on im gunnah quote you on that :)

amachii GOLD said...
amachii GOLD, Schenectady, New York

"ganbaranakutemo ee nende!" (It's okay even if you didn't do your best!) -Smileage/Tsunku

great review! i love your comparison to the quote on the back of the cover... it was really creative! :) i <3 twilight! :) :) :) :) :)

yourworstnightmare BRONZE, Sioux Falls, South Dakota

The best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing. (Teddy Roosevelt)

Wow, I have to admit, I love your review. And I agree, the back cover gave the book zero justice.

Cierra H. said...
You can also find out more about the movie, view the trailers, see the cast, and get extra stuff at twilightthemovie.com!

Jocelia P. said...
Yeah. I've been on Stephenie's website. I definitely don't like some of the character's that are playing them on the movie. They just don't fit the characters. You have a lot of stuff on teen ink. I have 4 things i think. Some of yours are really good. I think i'll comment on them too...

Cierra H. said...
Harry Potter also has more books and has been around for ten years. It's had more time to sell more copies and it has more volumes to purchase. They shouldn't be compared. They are both amazing and unique books. Both authors are phenominal.

Cierra H. said...
Kristen Stewart plays Bella (NOT what I expected!) Robert Pattinson plays Edward. You can see the whole cast @ imdb.com just search Twilight, it's under the exact matches catergory.

Jocelia P. said...
Heyy. Once again. Great article. Can't wait for the movie. But it's definatly not gonna be as good as the book. Do you know who plays the characters? Not exactly what I expected. But oh well. Great Review!

Jocelia P. said...
Oh my God!!! This was a great review. Cierra, you commented on my Twilight Review. Yours was really good too. I love the series. What other kinds of books do you like to read?

xelxoo said...
on Oct. 2 2008 at 9:52 am
I absolutely completely LOVE <3 the Twilight series, yet I can not agree with the fact that some people think it is better than Harry Potter. Twilight is sort of predictable, and it has less story in it, it is just the same thing happening. wheras, think of how much work JK Rowling had to put in the Harry Potter series, all the careful plotting and planning, and think so far ahead for seventeen years. Twilight has it's own charm . . . but it just doesn't beging to compare to harry potter. besides, twilight has sold only 8.5 Million copies, compared to the 375 million copies sold of Harry Potter. Big difference, guys.

Cierra H. said...
on Sep. 29 2008 at 3:30 am
I just don't understand why people hate these books! They are AMAZING!!! What is soooo bad about them, in your opinion? Is it not your style of book?Can you name a book that you love?

Limwen said...
on Sep. 28 2008 at 3:25 am
Well hey! I hated Twilight! So... I'm kinda disproving your proof.

Sara453 said...
Actually, no, they're smaller than Harry Potter...the Twilight books are so boring. Snore.

Cierra H. said...
on Sep. 23 2008 at 4:33 am
LOL! I can't wait for the movie either! I LOVE this WHOLE series!Some people prefer Jacob, but I was and am Edward all the way!!!!!

Cierra H. said...
on Sep. 22 2008 at 4:54 am
I just want to say THANKS SOOOOO MUCH TO EVERYONE WHO VOTED!!!! It really made my day!!!!! =^D

This is an amazing book its my favorite and im totaly in love with it.if you havent read it ou are so missing out i cant wait for the movie

zee_bee098 said...
i LOVE twilight and this is totally right. If you dont think that you get hooked on books or fall in love with characters, I have proof that everyone falls for twilight. I know a guy whom Edwad turned gay, and someone who had never rea a book more than one hundred pages get hooked on this series- and the books are bigger than Harry Potter...