Twilight by Stephenie Meyer | Teen Ink

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

September 10, 2008
By Anonymous

I didn’t hear about this book until everyone went crazy. By crazy, I mean the day that Breaking Dawn was released. I’m ashamed to say that I never even heard of this series before it’s final installment’s release. I was in the local Barnes and Noble, having just won a gift certificate there, browsing. Twilight was in at least four different sections of the store, so it had to be good right? I picked it up and read the back cover half a dozen times. It said:
“About three things I was absolutely positive. First, Edward was a vampire. Second, there was a part of him-and I didn’t know how dominant that part might be-that thirsted for my blood. And third, I was unconditionally and irrevocably in love with him.”
I put the book back twice, but finally I decided to buy it and its sequel, New Moon. I wanted the other two as well but my mom said to just wait and see how I like the first two. Here’s what I have to say about it:
About three things I am absolutely positive. First, the back cover doesn’t give the book justice. Second, I was an idiot to ever think of not buying this book. And third, I am unconditionally and irrevocably in love with it.
The reviews that I’ve read on this have said: “A girl falls in love with a vampire, the girl herself is helpless and can’t stop going on about how gorgeous Edward is.” This I must tell you is an absolute disgrace to the book. It is also not “a very poorly written novel” as others say. This is a story of true love. It's about fighting along who you love, even when everyone else’s doubt surrounds you. About, trying to protect the one you love, even if it means taking yourself out of the picture. NOT about some helpless girl falling for someone “way out her league.”
Not only does this book contain romance, but it also has suspense. Like, when another vampire who is not “vegetarian” (a vampire who doesn’t drink human blood but rather animal blood like Edward’s family, the Cullens) has his eye on Bella for the exact opposite reasons that Edward does. Will true love overcome Edwards’s instincts? Or is it truly impossible for a vampire and a human to be together? Read Twilight to find out.


The author's comments:
This review is for anyone who, like me, is doubtful about reading this series. It is a New York Times best seller for a reason, and you won't regret reading it!