A Bill of Wrongs | Teen Ink

A Bill of Wrongs

Amendment I.
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

In 1791 the Bill of Rights, written by James Madison our nation's fourth president, was ratified. This new bill gave hope and promises to every citizen of the United States for a better tomorrow. It guaranteed the U.S. would become the freest nation on earth. That everyone born here from then on would enjoy full and complete freedom under the laws of this new bill. Today's government, however, could not contradict James Madison's bill of dreams any more.
The book "Bill of Wrongs" by Molly Ivins and Lou Dubose brilliantly and accurately brings to light how many brave individual's first amendment rights are often trampled on by the GOP. This book lists many accounts in which the Republican Party has gone too far to maintain an image. In one instance it tells of a man in Colorado who was handcuffed before his young son for simply stating to Vice President Dick Cheney that he disagreed with his war policies. The man was charged with assualting the Vice President.
"Bill of Wrongs" magnificently reveals just how crooked and dirty politics can get. It exposes embarrasing truths on just how far the GOP is willing to go to keep up appearances. "Bill of Wrongs" is a book everyone needs to read. It will grip each and every reader with the repulsive truths the republicans definetly do not want the public to know. This book will shock you and impact your thoughts on our government greatly. It will not leave you disappointed.