The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkein | Teen Ink

The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkein

May 10, 2013
By Causetheskyisfalling BRONZE, Hampton, Minnesota
Causetheskyisfalling BRONZE, Hampton, Minnesota
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I never imagined adventures and quests quite the way J. R. R. Tolkien described in The Hobbit. Adventures were for teenagers and children up until I read the hobbit, where a 50 year old hobbit, Bilbo Baggins, was called to help 13 dwarves gain their kingdom and gold back from a fearsome dragon.

Bilbo was an ordinary hobbit, well respected by all the hobbits in his neighborhood, who never wished for anything more than a peaceful life in his cozy hobbit hole. After one morning of meeting a wizard named Gandalf, and being invited on a journey, Bilbo’s world was flipped upside down. In spite of himself, Bilbo joined the quest with 13 dwarves, and was given the dangerous title of a burglar. What was the job of the burglar? Why, all he has to do is help devise plans, battle strategies, and sneak into the dragons cave and steal back the gold it stole.
The Hobbit is beautifully written, giving such marvelous descriptions I could swear I was standing right among the group of adventurers. Tolkien wrote the book from the narrator's point of view, instead of anyone characters’, giving it a story like feel. It allows you to enjoy the book, the scenery it describes, and the characters thoughts, without getting completely sucked into the book.
The book is what i would call a perfect length for a good story. It isn’t so long that is discourages slower readers, but isn't so small that it would cut the details or descriptions short. Although, if you're really getting into it, The Hobbit can just fly by! If not, there is a movie out for the first half you can watch, 3 hours of watching instead of 3 to 5 days of reading.
I invite you to come along and join Bilbo Baggins on his unexpected journey. No matter what age, you're never too old for an adventure.


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 0 comments.