One Shot at Forever by Chris Ballard | Teen Ink

One Shot at Forever by Chris Ballard

By Nick Affronti BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona
Nick Affronti BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona

The Novel One Shot at Forever, is a classic novel about a high school baseball team from rural Illinois. All they had was hand-me-down jerseys and a rag tag group of kids. The novel One Shot at Forever, is an extremely easy read. This novel was meant to speak out to young adults and high school student, and that is why this novel is so easy to understand. This small town high school, and their underdog team, reaches out to many low income and rural kids across America. There is no escaping reality in this book because it is based on an actual team and story. The Macon Ironmen is a real team and a team that many can look onto for inspiration. One Shot at Forever, manages to make athletes all over go back and think about their own teams and coaches and careers. Chris Ballard, the author, manages this by showing the real life problems that low income school sports go through on a daily basis. This true story touches home with many teenage athletes giving it such a real feeling.

All across America there are small school that no one has ever heard of or seen. Heck, maybe someone reading this is actually a part of a school just like that. Having a winning team in a low income school is next to impossible. This struggles that Chris Ballard portrays of this low income school and community really reflect that hardships that many schools like Macom High go through. Chris Ballard shows real world problems such as no field maintenance or no water for the grass that all rural no income schools go through. In the Novel, Chris develops a complex character named “Sweet”. His different views on society and his amazing ability to find a way to not belong all make him a complex character. All these examples show how One Shot at Forever, reflects so many Americans reality.

Chris Ballard paints amazing pictures in the reader’s mind of torn down old baseball fields that the Ironmen play on throughout their season. He uses vivid imagery to describe the broken down chain link fences surrounding the field and also the un-natural clothing that some of the players wear to practice. Chris Ballard also displays his artistry through his ability to get across to the reader the importance of the relationship between a coach and his players. While reading one can really tell Chris Ballard believes that a coach can change a player’s life. Through the telling of the relationships between the players and Mr. Sweet, Chris always stays consistent throughout his novel. Characters like Sweet never change and never take any bizarre shifts. The plot of an underdog story never changes and the plot is never disrupted.

In my own personal beliefs, I think that the relationship between an athlete and his couch is a bound that will last with that kid for the rest of his life. As a baseball player, Chris Ballard is spot on in his views on coach to athlete relationships. I also think everyone loves an underdog story and One Shot at Forever, is just that. This novel gives exceptional insight as to what baseball and coaching should be all about. Chris Ballard pushes the importance of having fun on the field, and building relationships with teammates.

on Apr. 27 2015 at 11:47 am
Scottybarrels, Scottsdale, Arizona
Chris Ballard does an excellent job in his book One Shot at Forever. It is an awe-inspiring story of how an unlikely baseball team came together to overcome so many obstacles. He explained in vivid detail each tough game they played and portrayed detailed images in my head of each field. He explains every situation and kept me wanting more with each detail. Chris Ballard really helped me get to know each character. He did not just focus on one or two players like most baseball books. He gives a background of each player and portrays each player in a positive way. He goes into great detail of how Coach Sweet coached his team. Coach Sweet too me was a perfect coach. Although he did not know a lot about coaching, he made the game easier for the players. He allowed them to have fun, which a lot of baseball players get away from during the season. This is a book I would recommend to all baseball players and coaches. It left a message for me to always enjoy the game I love, instead of being so serious and getting down when I struggle. Chris Ballard does a wonderful job in all aspects of this book from making it easy to understand to using specific details for each scene. I did not think a simple story about a team in a small town could be so powerful. It shows anything is possible and it leaves a message that should be shared with everyone involved in the game of baseball. I give this book two thumbs up and I highly recommend this to all people involved with sports.

jackvalley said...
Jack Valley Mrs. Julian English IV, Period A 21 April 2015 Book Critique One Shot at Forever by Chris Ballard is a classic baseball novel displaying struggles and success’ over the course of the season. Everybody enjoys a story where the little guy wins, a David and Goliath story to say the least. This novel relates to sports fans and non-sports fans. The easy read brings the reader back to the 1970’s and makes them feel as if they are a part of the Macon High Ironmen on their journey. The main character Lynn Sweet, the Macon baseball coach, has an unusual coaching approach that will intrigue the reader to see how the season turns out. The story of the small town hero is about so much more than just a baseball team. With the unusual coaching style of Coach Lynn Sweet and the amazing run that the team had, the boys were making national news. They went from nobodies to somebodies in the matter of one year. They group of teenage boys put there town of 1,000 on the map. Lynn Sweets style fascinated many and changed many coaches’ styles for years to come. Ballard wrote in a way where he recreated the run and celebrates such an achievement for the community of the Macon High Ironmen. Ballard is a very talented writer and pays close attention to detail to paint a vivid picture of a group of boys coming together over Americas’ pastime, baseball, and making a name for their small town during the time of war.