Sapphique by Catherine Fisher | Teen Ink

Sapphique by Catherine Fisher

May 3, 2013
By Anonymous

The book Sapphique by Catherine Fisher, a sequel to the first in the series, Incarceron, which won the New York Times Best Children’s Book of the Year, was an extremely easy and fun read for me. The story returns with Finn and Claudia trying to fix the portal to Incarceron so that they can save Attia and Keiro who think that Finn has abandoned them because they are not awar of the fact that the Warden took both keys into Incarceron and broke the portal. On the Inside Attia and Kerio are working to escape Incarceron with the use of Sapphique’s glove. Both parties go through many trials and tribulations to finally figure things out.

There were many great things about this book. One was the shifting narrations of the characters that gave you fresh and new perspectives and point of views on everything that was happening inside the book. It is constantly changing allowing you to see what is going on through a lot for the character’s eyes. All of these narrations and events still end up tying together in the end to wrap it all up and leave nothing behind. Also, the plot twists always keep you on your toes, trying to guess what will happen next but rarely being right. The characters are one other thing that sets this book apart from others. All of the characters in this book have deep and intricate personalities that you end up getting to know very well. Aside from physical descriptions you truly are able to understand these characters are listening to their thoughts and words, and watching their actions. Since so many characters narrate parts of the book you get to go inside their heads and see what they are thinking.
If you are looking for a book that has a world like ours though then this may be a bit off for you. The technology in this book is much more advanced than ours, to the point where some of the things they have will never be possible for mankind, yet the book gives you the feel that you are in the late 1800’s or early 1900’s. Although the conflicts, decision-making, and rationality of this book truly purvey how people in the real world would act and think aside from a character known as Rix. By reading this book you will understand what I mean. The only thing that really didn’t sit well with me for this book was that there ends up being a few questions unanswered, important ones. Overall this book reads extremely well and fast. You constantly want more even when you have finished however maybe that is the problem. The book does not completely wrap up just because there are a few things left unclear. Other than that it was an amazing book that I had a tough time putting down.