Hatchet by Gary Paulsen | Teen Ink

Hatchet by Gary Paulsen

March 21, 2013
By Stiwie BRONZE, Redwood City, California
Stiwie BRONZE, Redwood City, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Hatchet by Gary Paulsen is a young adult realistic fiction novel. Paulsen tells the story of Brian Robenson trying to survive in the wilderness by himself. Everything starts going wrong when the pilot has a heart attack and Brian has to find a way to land the plane, but instead he ends up crashing it in the Canadian wilderness.


This story mostly takes place in the Canadian wilderness. This starts when his mom takes him to the airport and gives Brian a hatchet as a gift and when the pilot is flying to Canada, he has a heart attack and Brian is trying to find a way to land the plane, but ends up crashing it. He has no food, there’s no people near him, and he only has a hatchet his mom gave him as a present to survive. He tries to go and look for people near him or places to eat, but he couldn’t find anything. So, he remembers that his mom gave him a hatchet as a present. So, he starts thinking that he should eat something and kill an animal to survive, but but he couldn’t kill an animal.



Brian is is a dynamic character because he’s always changing from being nice to doing anything to survive in the wilderness. Brian’s mother is flat because she never changes or does anything interesting.

I really like this book because it’s interesting how how a boy survives by himself with only 20 dollars and a hatchet. I think the readers that might be interested in this kind of book would be people that are interested in realistic fiction, surprising, and secret kind of books. I would recommend this book to other readers because is a really good book that’s interesting and realistic at the same time. I give this book eight out of ten stars because is not the best book in the world, but is a really good book, but also to much drama.


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 0 comments.