Warriors Don’t Cry by Melba Pattillo Beals This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Can you imagine being one of nine black students chosen to integrate a school of over 2,000 white students? Warriors Don’t Cry is a compelling memoir of Melba Pattillo’s life during the desegregation of Central High School in Little Rock, Arkansas. She was a pioneer during that tortuous year.

In 1957, Little Rock was not an easy place for a black teenage girl to live. Pattillo had a rough start in life. She was born on December 7, 1941 – Pearl Harbor Day. A few weeks later she was on the verge of death because a white nurse ­refused to care for her. “The nightmare that surrounded my birth was proof positive that destiny had assigned me a special task,” she recounts.

When Pattillo volunteered to be one of the first black students to integrate the all-white high school, she hoped to show white students that blacks were their equals. But she didn’t know the battle that she would face.

On her first day, the mob ­surrounding the school was so large that she couldn’t find a way in. Some white men spotted her and tried to chase her down. Luckily, she escaped into a speeding car. ­Although Pattillo had been assigned a bodyguard, one day while walking in the hall, another student threw acid in her eyes. Had the bodyguard not been there to rinse her eyes with water, she would have gone blind.

Through this experience, Pattillo learned to have courage and patience. Her inspirational story is one-of-a-kind and opened my eyes to the extreme hardships that African-Americans have faced to get where they are today. Without warriors like Pattillo and the rest of the Little Rock Nine, segregation might still exist in America today. Now, because of the strength of these pioneers, an African-American is the front runner for this year’s presidential election.

mms43211 said...
i dont think this book is stupid at all.....how would you feel if your were in melbas place? this book is a true inspiring book and without melba and the others  america might not be the same it is today

9jamerican said...
Jun. 28, 2011 at 9:11 am
she made it seem like being half-white was a privelege. I dont think that any mixed kid should have any special priveleges because he/she is half white. It makes me mad because i have had some experiences with a bunch of mixed kids that live in philly and they have always tried to act like they were better than me. This doesn't justify that all mixed kids are like that, it just means that some of them probably are confused and think that they have special privileges. This is the confusion tht wa... (more »)

9jamerican said...
Jun. 28, 2011 at 9:04 am
This book was pretty good. I liked the fact that Melba kept me reading the book with her great and interesting details. I have sympathy for her and her struggles because now i see that the struggles of a black person (especially a black woman) weren't easy. The thing tht ticks me off is that i believe is some ways that Melba is a complete hypocrite. She told Link that she couldn't marry him because he is white and that she might get hurt because of it, yet she ended up marrying a white man. She ... (more »)

peace&dance said...
didn't like this bbok i thought it was stupid.

Katiepoo 2011 replied...
Mar. 18, 2011 at 11:04 am
I agree because the way the segergration is going it is stupid.

skylarholt708 replied...
I don't think think you should say it's stupid because this actually happened

EmilyClark This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Great book. An inspiring story. 

a.m.f said...
Jun. 14, 2010 at 1:25 am
This is one of the most emotional memoirs I have ever read.  It's been over two years since I last read it, but every detail in that book has been sewn into my memory. I've always heard that times were rough during the beginning stages of southern school integration, but I never knew how tragic it actually was until I opened this book.  I recommend this book to every single person.  It tells the heart breaking story of one of the Little Rock Nine who survived the process of i... (more »)

deskicv34 said...
good book being in 7th grade u have cafe day............

moonlight2893 said...
you should really read the bookits an amazing book and its very interesting too. . . you'll like it

jalexanderrockz replied...
i like it.. i agree with ya

jalexanderrockz replied...
hey.. i cnt believe i actually like it. i hate it before

Katiepoo 2011 replied...
Mar. 18, 2011 at 11:06 am
No I dont like it

Katiepoo 2011 replied...
Mar. 18, 2011 at 11:07 am
I dont like it.

hunter232651 replied...

wow...why dont u like this book

moonlight2893 said...
i'm reading this book and so far it's been a great inspiration for me to keep going and to know that i can go through anything and i can do anything i want whenever i want to do it

screenname! said...
Wow...that must have been sad...I'm checking it right now!

Katiepoo 2011 replied...
Mar. 18, 2011 at 11:06 am
It is because the blacks can not go to a white school.

queenaynok96! This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 31, 2009 at 3:25 am
Yeah, it seems like a really deep kind of novel, I am going to go and take a look at it.

jalexanderrockz replied...
i read that book and i love it.... it true and i knoe how she feels