Hate List by Jennifer Brown | Teen Ink

Hate List by Jennifer Brown

By Maggie99 SILVER, Versailles, Kentucky
Maggie99 SILVER, Versailles, Kentucky

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference. -Robert Frost

Title: Hate List

Author: Jennifer Brown

Pub. Date: September 1st 2009

Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

Genre: Realistic Fiction

Pages: 405

Rating: Five Stars

Synopsis: Five months ago, Valerie Leftman’s boyfriend, Nick, opened fire on their school cafeteria. Shot trying to stop him, Valerie inadvertently saved the life of a classmate, but was implicated in the shootings because of the list she helped create. A list of people and things she and Nick hated. The list he used to pick his targets.

Now, after a summer of seclusion, Val is forced to confront her guilt as she returns to school to complete her senior year. Haunted by the memory of the boyfriend she still loves and navigating rocky relationships with her family, former friends and the girl whose life she saved, Val must come to grips with the tragedy that took place and her role in it, in order to make amends and move on with her life.

Review: A friend recommended this to me and I’m grateful she did. This book left me emotionally drained in the best way. I was putting so much of my emotions towards Valerie, the lead character, without even knowing I was. She was a believable character throughout the book and I loved her.

The subject matter itself is very disturbing, not to mention the incredible way Brown made the book seem like you were reading a documentary of a school shooting instead of just a fictional story. Not many people realize how awful school bullying can be in public schools and how little is done to stop it. In my school, I could easily pick out a few kids that could relate to Nick Levil, though I don’t think any of them would shoot anyone, and it makes me sick to think that they might have the same hostile emotions towards their bullies.

Hate list was beautiful in its way of showing the true meaning of forgiveness, and what it takes to move on. It was so thought provoking and deep, I just couldn’t put it down!

on Feb. 23 2013 at 8:09 pm
redhairCat PLATINUM, Pebble Beach, California

"I can do anything!"

This is a great review. I think I'll look up the book on Amazon.  

on Feb. 23 2013 at 2:48 pm
AndSoItGoes01 SILVER, Reno, Nevada

"The winter I told you icicles are magic, you stole an enormous icicle from my neighbors shingle, and gave it to me as a gift, I kept it in my freezer for seven months. Love isn't always magic, sometimes it's melting." -Andrea Gibson

I loved your review. It completely sums up the book and makes me want to read it all over again. Hatelist was surely thought provoking and I absolutely loved reading it. I'm sure by reading this that you did as well.