Nothing but the Truth by Avi

“What would you do if you thought your English teacher hated you?” Well that is what happens to Phillip Malloy in this novel Nothing but the Truth.

The main character in this book is Phillip Malloy. He is a young, athletic, and determined boy. Phil goes to Harrison High School and wants to run track. Later on in the he finds out he can’t run track because he is failing English. He thinks it is because Ms. Narwin, his English teacher, hates him; he thinks of a plan to get her back. But how? He decides to sing the National Anthem during the Morning announcements. They have a rule that you have to be quiet during the morning announcements. Phil sings it once and he gets sent down to the principal’s office and gets talked to. He does it again and gets sent out again and gets suspended. For what? Being patriotic. Phil puts up a fight and gets the whole United States involved.
This book will leave you on the edge of your seat, and you won’t be able to put it down. This book is really good but you have to think outside the box and create your own ending.

I would recommend this great novel to any middle school aged kid. It is short and uses different points of view. Overall I loved the book Nothing but the Truth.