Beatrice Has a Secret by Maggie McAden | Teen Ink

Beatrice Has a Secret by Maggie McAden

By MaggieM BRONZE, Vienna, Virginia
MaggieM BRONZE, Vienna, Virginia

"Everyone wants happiness, nobody wants pain, but you can't make a rainbow, without a little rain."

The novel Divergent by Veronica Roth is an exciting, captivating read. I would recommend this book to any teens who enjoy reading a dystopian adventure that is jam-packed with action.

In future Chicago, at the age of sixteen, teens are separated into five different factions to develop a certain quality: Erudite (the intelligent), Amity (the peaceful), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), and Candor (the honest). Teenagers can choose what faction they want to be in, and through an aptitude test (personality test), they are informed of which faction is the best fit for them. They are divided up this way to prevent conflict and eventually reach a “perfect society”. The main character, Beatrice, takes the aptitude test and finds out she does not fit in with one specific faction, but with multiple factions. She is divergent. She has to choose between staying with her family and feeling like she really belongs. Divergent people are considered huge threats to the way the system has always worked, and their lives are in mortal danger if their secret becomes known.

In order to become a member of their faction, people must pass the faction initiation, a series of nearly impossible tests that will push everyone to their limit until they discover who they truly are. At the end, some will become remain, and others are banned from the faction forever.

Beatrice meets Four, an infuriatingly mysterious faction leader who seems determined for her to pass the tests. She realizes he knows her secret, and must figure out a way to conceal it from everyone else.

Beatrice is strong-willed, and stubborn; not the typical heroin. In spite of this, during the book I found myself respecting her spirit and the determination she had to pass the tests and earn her place in her faction.

Will Beatrice pass the tests and keep her dark secret from being revealed?