Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer | Teen Ink

Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer

Many teens in middle and high schools have read, or at least heard about the popular best-selling series Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. Some have eagerly waited for the final book of the series called Breaking Dawn. I have to admit, I was one of them. I counted down the days and pre-ordered the book online just to make sure I would own a copy. August 2nd came and went, but I found out that my book would be coming 4 days later and was crushed at the idea that all my friends would find out the ending before I did. The book did eventually come so I locked myself in my room and read through the end nonstop. I came to one conclusion: This book was a disappointment.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that the book was a piece of crap and not worthwhile to read. It's just that this ending wasn't what I had expected. There was not enough action. The suspense of the story is killed whenever Renesmee introduces her power to the other vampires. It made everything too calm. Breaking Dawn didn't make me jump from my seat or want to read on as much as the other books in the Twilight series did.

Some parts in Breaking Dawn just didn't make sense. For example, Charlie is able to visit Bella even after she has changed into a vampire. Consequently, he learns a bit of the vampire and werewolf world from Jacob. How is he able to live with the fact that he doesn't know the whole story? It seems ridiculous that Charlie is able to not question any of this suspicious behavior. Judging by his character, Charlie would've wanted to know the whole truth. It makes him seem out of character.

Another downer that needs to be addressed was that too many characters were introduced within a couple hundred pages. Meyer crammed several vampire covens into the story without warning. It would've been easier if she introduced a few at a time in the previous books. The only coven mentioned in Twilight, New Moon, or Eclipse was Tanya's coven. Meyer introduced a total of six other groups in all within a short time. This complexity seemed more like confusion.

In conclusion, Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer didn't live up to my expectations. This book doesn't even come to par with the original Twilight. It was a let down. Breaking Dawn could have been written much better than it is now.

on Nov. 7 2011 at 11:42 am
Celeste_N. SILVER, Balch Springs, Texas

Your just mad that your not a rainbow unicorn with ninja monkeys that can talk to gummy bears(:

Yall dont know what yall are talking about...i thought it lived up to my expectations...i thought it was the best Twilight Saga book yet...yall are just looking at the negatives and not the positives...it doesnt seem to me that she was trying to rush thru it...maybe that's how the book is suppose to go...DONT BE HATIN BREAKING DAWN...

_twilight16_ said...
on Nov. 21 2008 at 12:32 am
I have to disagree, I LOVED Breaking Dawn. It was a perfect ending to a wonderful story. Although I do agree, there were wayyy to many characters to remember at the end!

lalalalost said...
breaking dawn could have been SO much better but it wasn't!!! i don't like how she ended it with all these questions left unanswered!!! like what happens to renesme and jacob? does bella ever get to see her mom again? are there ANY other conflicts in the future (cause it's only good with some sort of conflict... :D)? stephenie meyer did not end the series very well, and she could have put an epilouge in too!!! >.<

AliPants said...
I thought this was a great review, and I agree with you. Breaking Dawn was not what I expected, and it felt as if Stephenie Meyer was rushed while writing it. She has said that what happened in Breaking Dawn was planned before Twilight was even released, but do I believe that? Not completely, no. Again, awesome job!

Awww! Thanks for the first comment! I like Jacob... he seems really cool. but I don't think he and Bella should pair up. Thanks for reviewing! ~Ash

I, personally, liked Breaking Dawn, but, like you, not as much as the others. I disagree with you when you said that Stephenie Meyer introduced too many characters. I liked that. It kept you thinking and trying to remember who was from which coven. But you were right about Charlie. I did think it was a little bit of a disappointment, but not enough to stop from loving it!

Great writing, BTW. I'm going to see what else you have written. So keep writing!

P.S.- Jacob is my favorite character!!!! If you like Edward, BLECH!!! My sister is like that! :( If you like Jake, YAYAY!!!! :D