Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer | Teen Ink

Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer

August 22, 2008
By Anonymous

Many teens in middle and high schools have read, or at least heard about the popular best-selling series Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. Some have eagerly waited for the final book of the series called Breaking Dawn. I have to admit, I was one of them. I counted down the days and pre-ordered the book online just to make sure I would own a copy. August 2nd came and went, but I found out that my book would be coming 4 days later and was crushed at the idea that all my friends would find out the ending before I did. The book did eventually come so I locked myself in my room and read through the end nonstop. I came to one conclusion: This book was a disappointment.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that the book was a piece of crap and not worthwhile to read. It's just that this ending wasn't what I had expected. There was not enough action. The suspense of the story is killed whenever Renesmee introduces her power to the other vampires. It made everything too calm. Breaking Dawn didn't make me jump from my seat or want to read on as much as the other books in the Twilight series did.

Some parts in Breaking Dawn just didn't make sense. For example, Charlie is able to visit Bella even after she has changed into a vampire. Consequently, he learns a bit of the vampire and werewolf world from Jacob. How is he able to live with the fact that he doesn't know the whole story? It seems ridiculous that Charlie is able to not question any of this suspicious behavior. Judging by his character, Charlie would've wanted to know the whole truth. It makes him seem out of character.

Another downer that needs to be addressed was that too many characters were introduced within a couple hundred pages. Meyer crammed several vampire covens into the story without warning. It would've been easier if she introduced a few at a time in the previous books. The only coven mentioned in Twilight, New Moon, or Eclipse was Tanya's coven. Meyer introduced a total of six other groups in all within a short time. This complexity seemed more like confusion.

In conclusion, Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer didn't live up to my expectations. This book doesn't even come to par with the original Twilight. It was a let down. Breaking Dawn could have been written much better than it is now.