Fifty Shades of Grey | Teen Ink

Fifty Shades of Grey

January 21, 2013
By 5Rafferty GOLD, Nashotah, Wisconsin
5Rafferty GOLD, Nashotah, Wisconsin
19 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Many teens have read or at least heard of the book Fifty Shades of Grey. This book is the first of the trilogy written by EL James. The second and third books are Fifty Shades Darker, and Fifty Shades Freed.

The main character in this series is Anastasia “Ana” Steele. Ana is 22 and lives with her best friend Katherine Kavanagh. Katherine writes for the school newspaper, and needs to interview a successful entrepreneur, Christian Grey. But when Katherine becomes sick, she makes Ana go and interview him for her.

Christian and Ana then hit it off, and start hanging out more and more. Ana doesn’t know one of Christian’s biggest secrets, though. And when she finds out his secret, she’s speechless. Christian makes Ana sign a non-disclosure agreement forbidding her to discuss anything they do together. He also makes her sign a second contract saying there will be no romantic relationship.

When I got halfway through the book, my mom took it away from me saying it wasn’t appropriate for someone my age. Most of my friends have read the book and are starting to read the second and third books and I think I should be allowed to read them as well. Everyone my age pretty much knows everything that’s in the books. It’s not like it’s a big secret.

Some people may get mad about the books content, such as inappropriate language but it’s their choice to read it or not. No one is forcing them to open the book and start reading. Some people say people under 18 shouldn’t be allowed to read it. They say that it’s too inappropriate, but everyone, even if they are 16, should be allowed to read the books.
If people like the books, and love the way the author writes, and if the author wants to write more books of this type, it should be allowed.