Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins | Teen Ink

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

By MeganShannon BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio
MeganShannon BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio

Catching Fire , by Suzanne Collins, is the second book of the trilogy The Hunger Games. Catching Fire is a Science-Fiction book that takes place in a dystopian country, Panem. Panem holds one of the most poor districts, District 12. District 12 is home of the famous Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark, 74th annual Hunger Games victors, that have set a rebellion that is out of control. They set this rebellion by, they were the last two alive, and a rule that allowed two tributes from the same district to come home alive, was revoked. Katniss thought of a double suicide plan for both her and Peeta to do because she just thought that life without Peeta would be unbearable. Katniss found some poisonous berries, nightlock, in the arena and placed some in Peeta's hands and some in her hand. They were just about to slip the berries past their mouth when, they were both allowed to live. That’s when the flame was ignited for the rebellion to begin.

When Katniss and Peeta were arranged to go on the Victory Tour visiting each district, and then the capitol, Katniss is threatened by President Snow to persuade Panem that her act of double suicide, attempting to eat poisonous berries, was only an act of love instead of an act of rebellion.

When Katniss thought things couldn’t get any worse, the 75th Hunger Games arrives and instead of a regular game, this was the semiannual Quarter Quell. Every 25 years their would be a Quarter Quell, and their would be a catch. The Quarter Quell was going to be held where 24 past victors were going to have to fight to the death for the second time. Since their were only three past victors for District 12, Katniss and Peeta have to go back into the arena with Haymitch as their mentor again. Katniss and Peeta have to repeat the games and are determined to survive, against all odds, and save each other. They soon learn that they cannot survive these games alone, as they are in a pool of victors that are vicious and cruel.

Haymitch forces Peeta and Katniss to try and make some allies with the rest of the victors. The two then go and try to find some allies and end up not trusting any of them since, none of them won the games by luck, but all of them had to be vicious killers. They soon try harder to earn trust with some of the districts, and succeed. Katniss and Peeta working together, being helped by some allies, begin on their journey to make it out of the arena alive and overthrow the capitol, Catching Fire will take anyone on a journey of nonstop action.

Suzanne Collins gives that same spark that everyone felt when they read The Hunger Games, leaving them holding on to their edge of the chair and predicting what will happen next. With some added characters to the plot, while keeping the old characters, people will fall in love with their personalities and their secrets. Suzanne Collins does a tremendous job at capturing readers by her talented imagination.

I recommend this book for anyone who enjoyed The Hunger Games movie, book, or just loves a thrilling adventure with twists at every page. This book will not only keep you on the edge of your seat, but will have you rooting for your favorite tribute. Suzanne Collins really captured that feeling and emotion of as if you were in the arena and fighting to the death. Suzanne Collins wrote another book that will leave you saying “May the odds, be ever in your favor.” (Collins 8)